Coaches: Harsh Conditions Do Not a Great Garden Make

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One of the things that never ceases to amaze me is the way too many fastpitch softball coaches choose to treat their players. Whether I am walking by a field when a team is practicing or just talking to some of my students, the “tough guy” (or “tough gal”) stereotype seems to be alive and […]

More...

Jan 31, 2011
The big question to ask a coach - "Can you talk to your employees the same way you talk to your players?" Would you get fired at your day job for yelling at co-workers like that?

Players will work harder and take more ownership when you build that relationship with them. Its a process and we all learn. If a kid makes a mental error, maybe its because you haven't explained the play well enough. As a coach, its your job to put the team in the best position to succeed. You can't expect them to know what they haven't been taught!

Mar 4, 2015
New England
The big question to ask a coach - "Can you talk to your employees the same way you talk to your players?" Would you get fired at your day job for yelling at co-workers like that?

Probably, but having your office staff run poles in the parking lot has been shown to increase productivity.

Furthermore, the command ''Throw strikes!" sharpens focus in the work place, though no one can explain why. It just works.

Jan 31, 2011
Probably, but having your office staff run poles in the parking lot has been shown to increase productivity.

Furthermore, the command ''Throw strikes!" sharpens focus in the work place, though no one can explain why. It just works.
Well, I never tried breaking a clipboard or kicking a bucket in my office, But I'm willing to give it a shot! :LOL:

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I wonder why there isn't more comments about this very well written post. I worry that maybe some coaches don't want to touch it because they have a similar garden and would rather stick their heads in the sand instead of having some self reflection. Also I feel some parents want tough (stupid/lazy) coaches believing that is what it takes to get the most out of their DDs.
Parents its not true. Your DDs will produce more out of respect and gratitude than they will out of fear and intimidation. Demand better coaching.
How many freshman have to quit softball forever their first year because the coach is a jerk for the fastpitch community to say no more.
If the college program has 7 out of the 9 recruits from last year quit or transfer maybe there's a problem.
Personally I would never want my DD to get a custom to somebody yelling, belittling and berating her under any circumstance.

Aug 23, 2016
DD left a team because her coach treated her like she could do nothing right. Her team was like a dysfunctional family, complete with both a golden child (the #1 pitcher) and a scapegoat (DD). Nothing DD could do was good enough, and by the time she left the team the coach pretty much only spoke to DD to yell at her. Coach was not happy that she left, and as a parting shot he told me that DD was a crappy player and no coach would ever be able to get much out of her.

DD joined a new team with a supportive coaching staff, and she's playing better than ever. She's relaxed and having fun. She's playing with so much poise and confidence that an opposing coach questioned whether she was too old to play 14U (she was born in 2008). I can't believe how much her old coaches were dragging her down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28