Coaches - Allow Players to pickup?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 6, 2018
Coaches, how do you feel about allowing your players to pickup when you are not playing?

May 3, 2016
I am not a fan. We play enough that the weekends off are needed. But a question back to you. Do you pickup players if your short? My philosophy is that I don’t want them picking up when we aren’t playing and I don’t pick up players when we have a girl out. If too many are out we will schedule a different weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I have no problem with girls on the team picking up for another team when we are not playing.

We don't normally pick up a player unless there is a real need to. We picked up a player for one tournament last year. We had 3 players missing for a tournament so we only had 9 girls. We picked up one player to make a total of 10 girls. Batted 10 the entire tournament, so none of the girls had to sit.

Apr 28, 2019
Coaches, how do you feel about allowing your players to pickup when you are not playing?
If your not playing that weekend why not let them play elsewhere? You can never get enough game experience.
I understand the position of you don’t want to lose players but by the same token the player(s) may see how good they have it on your squad.
As far as possible injuries or burnout it’s a game things happen. Let the kids play, improve & have fun.

Feb 3, 2016
We let kids do this in the Fall. No pickup for anyone now!
The kids comes back to the team practice and we start from zero again. Don't need to replace girls getting hurt for other tesms.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Game experiece is RAD
More game experience is RAD
Helping another team is RAD
Your player getting better is RAD
Being a courteous coach is RAD
*Promoting camaraderie and sportsmanship is RAD

Let them play, and BE RAD

Always helping teams make connections when they need a catcher!
Great opportunities come of it!
Even help teams in other states comming to calif. And students played out of state for teams! RAD

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
I guess when coaches start paying MY dd to play instead of it being the other way around, they can tell her not to pick up if we are off and not practicing that day. The exception being if we actually sign an agreement when we join the team stating that it is prohibited. Current team encourages picking up if it is an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802