Coaches - Allow Players to pickup?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2018
Parent and player decision. No input from coach needed. Why should a coach get input on my dd’s time outside of scheduled practices and games?It’s her life, not yours.

USSSA must disagree. Because they have formal rules about guest play and who gets notified. Also rules about switching rosters.

Oct 29, 2018
I also want to add this. There are lots of rules in life, heck even in softball, that you might disagree with...including the reasons behind them. We can all probably think of some examples.

If you disagree with your coaches' rules, leave the team.

This type of stuff happens in all sports. Soccer comes to mind.

Oct 29, 2018
While different, it's not completely different. Those governing bodies tend to establish rules due to actions by teams, players, and coaches. Such as allowing too many guests or roster changes. They generally don't make these types of pre-emptive rules that don't have any basis in past actions.

My response was to someone who said why should a coach get input or know? And there are answers to that or at least that the coach should know, that USSSA and other organizations in other sports agree with.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The governing body of an organization having rules is completely different situation than coaches deciding whether to allow pickups or not.
Agree.
Add- 2 topics
While roster rules affect being able to pick up players with some sb venues.
Doesnt apply to all guest opportunities!
Nor the topic of whether a 'coach' can control a player or not from guesting.

Possibilities and Opportunities!

Oct 29, 2018
Our state USSSA rules were changed in the past few years due in part (this is my understanding): to this type of situation happening:
Girl A would be playing with Team 1(B level) and Team 2(A), sometimes in the same tournament, but sometimes different weekends. For the same org, but different teams, or sometimes different orgs. Same age group but moving from A to B and back to A. People started noticing and complaining, I think.

Without getting into more details, and this is a high level example and I may not have all the details correct. But if coaches/players didn't do this sort of thing, maybe they wouldn't have to have these organizational rule changes. This is my point--it's not a completely unrelated topic. Organizational rules are caused sometimes by coaches rules, or non-rules, or people skirting the rules. Of course, people will always find ways to avoid rules, or interpret things differently... I'm not saying people are wrong to guest. But there are reasons coaches make these rules. You might not agree with them.

Feb 18, 2014
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here think that the alphabet organizations rules are anything more than a way to verify that they are registered and covered by some sort of insurance for liability reason? Around here USA requires a roster signed by the current coach saying they can play, Utrip I have no idea, we have just shown up on rosters when needed.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For PGF nationals.
If a player attends a qualifier and their team does not qualify with that team.
At a later date they ARE eligible to play PGF nationals with another team.
Even if they played the entire year with there own team.

Also
Players can play on one team in a tourny and play on another in a different tourny
Example
Team A- play TCS nationals
Team B- play PGF nationals
*can do both!

So go figure the usssa rules and variances in other sb venues.
Btw usssa only governs their own events.
Each has own rulesets.

*which brings up a great point.
If your team doesnt qualify...
For say pgf nationals...
And another team wants to pick up a player....
What coach DOESNT WANT one of their players to have that opportunity!

Play and ENJOY!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2014
Our state USSSA rules were changed in the past few years due in part (this is my understanding): to this type of situation happening:
Girl A would be playing with Team 1 and Team 2 in the same tournament but sometimes different weekends. For the same org, but different teams. Same age group but moving from A to B and back to A. People started noticing.

Without getting into more details, this is a high level example and I may not have all the details correct. But if coaches/players didn't do this sort of thing, maybe they wouldn't have to have these organizational rule changes. This is my point--it's not a completely unrelated topic. Organizational rules are caused sometimes by coaches rules, or non-rules, or people skirting the rules. Of course, people will always find ways to avoid rules, or interpret things differently... I'm not saying people are wrong to guest. But there are reasons coaches make these rules.
Any rules to prevent what is seen as iffy actions would come from the sponsor organization or the tournament organizers. Coaches put pickup rules in place because they believe they know best or for purely selfish reasons, they aren't trying to prevent themselves from questionable actions..

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm very curious about the communication piece. My rule was always simple. I will be open and honest with you. All I expect is the same in return. I am getting some mixed signals from this thread. We want coaches to tell us everything that is going on. Will there be pickup players? If so, why? How will playing time be distributed? Etc. Yet, some see no need to tell the coach about picking up for other teams. Doesn't that seem a bit hypocritical? Just trying to understand...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802