Coaches - Allow Players to pickup?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD's org discourages playing with other teams, but I can see a future once she gets to 16U (she's 14 now) where arranging to play with another team in a showcase where you know a specific coach is going to be will be important. To have that situation be the first time they've ever been a guest player would be a disservice, I think.

Also, from the college coach's point of view, I would think that they would be impressed if a prospective player emailed and said, "I see you'll be at XYZ Showcase, I have made arrangements to play with the Golden Poodles if you'd like the chance to see me play." That shows serious interest as well as initiative.

Excellent point! When DD was younger, I also encouraged her to guest play for other teams when possible. That way she isn't always playing for dad... I wanted her to have the opportunity to play for other coaches and work alongside different teammates. Honestly, I think those experiences had as much to do with her success as playing for her own team.

Jan 28, 2017
I would not care if any player picked up with another team at all. I do think you need a break sometimes but that should be the parents call. On the flip side, every time one of my DD teams has picked up a player it caused problems. Somebody would show that wasn't supposed to show and one of your normal players had to sits more. Did they pay? We paid junk. Sometimes the pick up player sit and they are mad. Crazy!

Jun 11, 2013
It depends on the coach of the other team. Most coaches are good guys and will not try and poach but some are just brutal and will do anything to steal a player. If you do let players to pickup with another team it's a good idea to announch it to your team so they don't see an instagram post of that player in the other team uniform. It can really cause some problems.

Apr 20, 2017
As a parent I hate for a coach to say there is a no pickup policy for players. There are times and situations that it is good for a player to get extra reps. Maybe at a secondary position or more batting. I’d rather a coach say just talk to them first and get approval. Then just no picking up.

Apr 26, 2015
DD's coach was always supportive of the girls guest playing - but this year they changed to an org that only allows guesting within the organization. DD loved picking up - she is actually kind of sad she won't have that opportunity this year.

However, she did go across the country with her HS coach's team last year after being told that she would make 10 players. We got to the field and they had 14. it was awful. DD sat ONE inning the entire weekend and batted lead off the entire time. It was embarrassing. The other parents were (understandably) not happy.

DD's team used pick up players on a couple of occasions last year. Always treated as a regular player.

Oct 4, 2018
It depends on the coach of the other team. Most coaches are good guys and will not try and poach but some are just brutal and will do anything to steal a player. If you do let players to pickup with another team it's a good idea to announch it to your team so they don't see an instagram post of that player in the other team uniform. It can really cause some problems.

Yeah. You absolutely need to tell your coaches if you're picking up.

Feb 18, 2014
I'm baffled by the statements that allowing players to play for other teams messes with team chemistry.

And the limits of keeping pickups within an organization accomplishes what?

Do you really feel the need to micromanage the players time to the point where you are telling them that they need to rest a weekend?

You want to see a person grow, throw them into a position where they don't have a security blanket and are expected to perform. What do you think is going to happen when they go off to school? Is the org or dad going with them?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
You have to wonder what the thought process is when an organization expressly prohibits their players from guesting for any other teams/orgs yet is constantly bringing in guest players and taking playing time away from those very same kids who pay the fees and go to every practice.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
You have to wonder what the thought process is when an organization expressly prohibits their players from guesting for any other teams/orgs yet is constantly bringing in guest players and taking playing time away from those very same kids who pay the fees and go to every practice.
Good question
What is the thought process?
Wonder if this deters players from joining a team/org?

I know it has affected returning the next season.
Like when coaches bring in guest players they dont need and play them over regular players. Never goes over well with breaking loyalty.

Or this example,
Had a catching student whose team finished their season winning Triple Crown Nationals. And they were done for the season, taking several weeks off. Player had the opportunity to then go play Premier pgf with another team with a team from far away. Different place in the state. wouldn't even be an option to go play for them as a regular-season player they were just going to be a guest. When the parent called the coach to let him know about the opportunity the coach hung up the phone on the players mom. Consequently they did not return to that coaches team.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812