Coaches - Allow Players to pickup?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2014
Seguin, TX
Our org allows you to pick up within the org only. And is only done if your coach agrees to allow it. If we take a weekend off (no tournament/no practice), it is considered rest time and typically only done when our girls are getting worn out. We typically take that time to rest and spend with family and friends.

Apr 25, 2019
Picking up players is part of the game. Injuries, family obligations, girls playing multiple sports, etc are all reasons to either allow your DD go play with a different team or your current team to pick up players. As long as you are fulfilling your current team's obligations then there should be no issue. Live action is much better than sitting around on the weekend.

Apr 25, 2019
Now, there are times when a team absolutely should NOT pick up players. For example, if you have plenty of your own players to play then you should not be picking up players. Even if the best pitcher in the state is available to play, if you have enough then NO!! Also, have an understanding with the player picking up. Talk to their parents about playing time and such, especially if they are travelling. Everyone should have reasonable expectations, parents and coaches included. If you pick up a 10th player and then don't play them, those parents are going to be pissed. Also, if you play that pick up player all the time and sit one of your current players, parents are going to get REALLY pissed.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Only insecure orgs and coaches don't allow players to pick up.

The idea that you "own" a players right to play or if you are just frightened that they are going to find a better situation is ridiculous. It is really your problem, not theirs. Excuses like 'they could get hurt' or 'we play enough already' are poor justifications - especially since if they were free to pickup, their team probably was going to practice anyway and really what difference does it make where they were injured.

We only ask that 1) They let us know and 2) They don't do it if they are already injured

For younger groups - I love if some other team is helping us get our developing pitchers circle time or getting our learning players reps at a new position. Older recruiting ages - we expect our players to go guest for a team in a showcase for schools they want to attend if our team is going and we will help other players that way as well.

We only pickup players if we are really short and we treat any pickup as we would any full time player on our team. It is why when we DO need a pickup player there is a list of kids happy to play for us.

Oct 4, 2018
Only insecure orgs and coaches don't allow players to pick up.

The idea that you "own" a players right to play or if you are just frightened that they are going to find a better situation is ridiculous. It is really your problem, not theirs. Excuses like 'they could get hurt' or 'we play enough already' are poor justifications - especially since if they were free to pickup, their team probably was going to practice anyway and really what difference does it make where they were injured.

We only ask that 1) They let us know and 2) They don't do it if they are already injured

For younger groups - I love if some other team is helping us get our developing pitchers circle time or getting our learning players reps at a new position. Older recruiting ages - we expect our players to go guest for a team in a showcase for schools they want to attend if our team is going and we will help other players that way as well.

We only pickup players if we are really short and we treat any pickup as we would any full time player on our team. It is why when we DO need a pickup player there is a list of kids happy to play for us.

Agreed.

I've heard all kinds of arguments (against letting players pick up with other teams) and they're all weak.

If a coach is worried about a girl liking that team more and leaving to that team, holding them hostage isn't going to help the case any.

Sep 23, 2018
We rarely pick up girls and only do it if we have a positional need (catcher in the past). If we do pickup, we treat the player as a member of our team for the weekend and they get equal opportunity. This is also explained to all parents ahead of time. We also let our girls pickup if they wish. We only have 1 rule.

1. They let us know ahead of time.

I have found in the past that guesting can cause minor friction on a team.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have no problem with players picking up for other teams. In fact, in some cases I helped coordinate it. At the younger ages we tended to keep the team busy enough that few wanted to pick up. At the older ages we slowed down our schedule (for various reasons), but then I would help coordinate pickups for showcases in targeted areas. If our team is not playing, and one of our players has a chance to play in front of one of their top choices, why would I want to prevent that? Our players would let us know what college coaches they were speaking with and what events they were attending. Then I would reach out to travel ball coaches I knew and see if I could arrange an opportunity.

We rarely picked up players for our team. My goal was to never attend a tournament with fewer than 10 players. If we had less than 10 available, we would pick up players to reach 10. In most cases our pickups were girls that previously played for us and/or the rest of our team knew on a personal level. Essentially they were just part of the team.

Jul 14, 2018
DD's org discourages playing with other teams, but I can see a future once she gets to 16U (she's 14 now) where arranging to play with another team in a showcase where you know a specific coach is going to be will be important. To have that situation be the first time they've ever been a guest player would be a disservice, I think.

Also, from the college coach's point of view, I would think that they would be impressed if a prospective player emailed and said, "I see you'll be at XYZ Showcase, I have made arrangements to play with the Golden Poodles if you'd like the chance to see me play." That shows serious interest as well as initiative.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Also, from the college coach's point of view, I would think that they would be impressed if a prospective player emailed and said, "I see you'll be at XYZ Showcase, I have made arrangements to play with the Golden Poodles if you'd like the chance to see me play." That shows serious interest as well as initiative.

This is absolutely the case.

And coaches often ask players to be at one of the showcases on their schedule so they can watch in person - and if your team isn't going, you go, even if your team is playing that weekend somewhere else. Your team will either have enough or will pick up a replacement for you. One of the reasons many HS age teams have larger rosters to accommodate recruiting activiity.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD's org discourages playing with other teams, but I can see a future once she gets to 16U (she's 14 now) where arranging to play with another team in a showcase where you know a specific coach is going to be will be important. To have that situation be the first time they've ever been a guest player would be a disservice, I think.

Excellent point RickM
Playing as a guest to showcase.
Case in point...
Teams from Calif going to Florida D9 showcase.
when players families may not care/able to foot the bill to go there and team needs a player and or players who are already verbel not needing to foot the bill to go play. Been a great opportunity to send catchers to Florida D9 and have had exceptional recruitment responses!

Thank you to the coaches/teams who treat guest players as a true team member while guesting!!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse