Coach wants 2nd yr 14u player to convert to slapping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 27, 2019
I have recently backed out of coaching my oldest DD. she came back from practice stating she was told by the coach she is a slapper now and that was all she worked on in practice. She has never slapped before and is right handed. She has been hitting and bunting well this fall at no.6 slot, she is in the fastest 15% on the team. Is this the time for this conversion? Does this sound right? She struggled making solid contact the last year and has come around this fall to hit as well as anyone on the team.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Lot of various stuff in your post.

I would not work with her slapping from right side, moving to left side more open to it.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The following is my opinion. I posted an article on here of one of my HS players three years ago. She was a slapper. She was also a superior athlete. I asked her why she slapped when she was a natural righty. She stated a similar story. She was smaller and fast so her TB coach told her to slap. I had her step up right handed and hit. Long story short, she hit 5 bombs in our first 10 games and went on to hit in the very high .300s with major power numbers. She could pick her college when she was done. I understand the slapping game. I just happen to like the long ball and power ball more. Again, this is just my opinion.

Oct 26, 2019
The following is my opinion. I posted an article on here of one of my HS players three years ago. She was a slapper. She was also a superior athlete. I asked her why she slapped when she was a natural righty. She stated a similar story. She was smaller and fast so her TB coach told her to slap. I had her step up right handed and hit. Long story short, she hit 5 bombs in our first 10 games and went on to hit in the very high .300s with major power numbers. She could pick her college when she was done. I understand the slapping game. I just happen to like the long ball and power ball more. Again, this is just my opinion.
@Cannonball Do you see slapping as a last resort for a hitter? Like teaching a base all pitcher to throw a knuckleball or submarine because they weren’t getting it done the other way? As an old base all guy, I’m curious when I should look at slapping as an option for my girls.

Jul 4, 2013
I'd be dubious if it was my daughter. Really good slappers are super hard to defend, but I've seen very few good slappers watching my daughter play. Some coaches seem to believe that slapping is easier than traditional hitting. Turning a righty around to lefty and asking her to put the barrel on the ball while moving her feet is hard.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
@Cannonball Do you see slapping as a last resort for a hitter? Like teaching a base all pitcher to throw a knuckleball or submarine because they weren’t getting it done the other way? As an old base all guy, I’m curious when I should look at slapping as an option for my girls.
I've had a few successful slappers. Still, I seem to have more young ladies who can hit for average and drive the ball.

Apr 26, 2015
I would be very leery of someone who assumes slapping is easier, or they use it as a last resort. Becoming a true slapper takes a lot of work and to become a true triple threat takes even more. DD is not a HR hitter but can put the ball to the fence. She is a true lefty and relatively fast (not elite fast) so we decided fairly early on to find someone to teach her to slap. Hitting the ball while running AND placing it takes a lot of work - mental and physical. For a season or so DD could get overwhelmed trying to decide - soft slap, hard slap, power slap, hit, bunt? She would have to read the defense and make a plan all in the short time before she steps into the box. She is very effective at placing the ball. Where she ran into problems was in HS. Her HS coach did not want her to slap so she would struggle making the transition between TB and HS ball and back. She is finally at a place where she can use both fairly effectively. She loves to draw the defense in using a drag bunt or soft slap and then burn them with a hit to the fence next at bat.

It's fun to watch an effective slapper but frustrating if they are just a one trick pony. The #2 hitter on DD's HS team was recently turned lefty because she is very fast. But at 17 she can only drag bunt/soft slap. She cannot hit for power or get the ball out of the infield. Frustrating when they have 2 outs and bases loaded. The opposing teams also pick up on it pretty quickly and after the first one or 2 at bats can usually defend it pretty effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 27, 2019
For me it's frustrating because she had just gotten out of a slump and is hitting well and I don't want it messed with. She would do anything for the team but my concern is the that fact that she has never done it before. I plan to talk to coach next I see him but wanted to know what others think of this move.

Apr 20, 2015
How fast is your kid and what are her goals? You can be a successful slapper in travel ball with mediocre speed but it won't be what's needed in college if this is her goal. Need true elite speed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802