Coach undermining face mask use

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am a mask fan, I have 4 new rip it masks in bag if they want to try it out.

You can not field so we need to armor you up is a bad message as a coach.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Ok, I'm old but I see the need for them in certain positions in the upper age groups. Pitcher, 1st and 3rd. I'm not expecting to see any 12U in the outfield with one on UNLESS, the OF is nothing but clumps of grass that cause those wicked bounces.

Dec 5, 2017
Just understand what chest protectors actually do and don't do. Currently they only protect against skin and bone injuries.
Once dd decided she didn't want to pitch anymore I told her not to worry about wearing one but she still wants to. May not help much but it isn't hurting anything in my opinion.

Dec 5, 2017
I'm also curious about this. As far as I know, no one on DD's team wears a chest protector. DD pitches and plays first usually, so I'm wondering if this is something I should look into.
I think they were touted at one point as preventing an injury that could stop your heart, if I am remembering correctly. I felt like it just provided an extra precaution against a broken rib or sternum when dd was 7/8 and girls had hot bats and the regular softballs. The league did make masks mandatory so that was good.

Sep 19, 2018
When my dd was 9 (a pitcher) my wife wanted her to half a chest protector (commotio cordis protestion). As noted, there is no real proof that the current options. actually prevent it. I wound up getting her https://unequal.com/hart-shirt-new/
It truly is like armor. Thick and hard. She definitely felt more confident wearing it. She wore it that 9 year old spring season. She has not put it on in over a year and a half.

Jun 19, 2016
Different topic but related, what's everyone's thoughts on chest protectors? Probably covered in the past but I don't recall seeing it. When dd played rec I told parents, especially at 8u, that I would have a hard time putting girls in the infield because of how hard the ball is hit with composite bats if they didn't have on. Our league uses regular softballs, not the bouncy ones, and it's just not safe for some of the smaller inexperienced girls. Dd has actually broken her bones in her hand 2 of the 4 seasons she played rec, not a good stat to have :(. I would like to see data as to the actual protection provided by a chest protector. Dd still wears one in 12u and so do most if not all of her teammates. I think they give them more confidence if nothing else.
Chest protectors don't work for stopping cardiac arrest. AEDs work but this is so rare. An AED at every ball park would save lots umpires and spectators.

Apr 28, 2014
DD wears a mask in the circle after a few years of prodding. I think some parents go over the top with the anger for kids who don't wear them. I get it, it's harder to get your DD to wear one when others don't wear one. It's all about personal choice. Should be a family decision and no pressure either way.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
DD (2nd yr 12U) has worn a mask since she started in 8u rec. The family rule is, she will wear a mask when she is playing on the dirt until she is old enough to have her own insurance. She has never expressed a desire not to wear it. It's just something she does without thinking now. DW wishes she would wear it in the OF but I think it's OK to make that compromise.

It is our decision as parents. However, not going to push that on anyone else.

IMO, I would have a polite talk with the coach in the OP about the family decision and ask her to please respect that decision.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Life comes at you fast in the IF, but for an older player who knows what they're doing, a mask in the OF is unnecessary. However, I make DD wear a mask whenever I hit infield grounders and line drives. She's never taken one to the face during a game, but the mask has saved her more than once at practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom