Coach undermining face mask use

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A student when she was 13 could dead lift 300 pounds. Was about 5'7 or 5'8. Near 185 pounds.
Built like a door.
Her dad, a pro bb player, taught her hitting since she could stand...
At 13 her hits would whistle as it flew by...

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
A student when she was 13 could dead lift 300 pounds. Was about 5'7 or 5'8. Near 185 pounds.
Built like a door.
Her dad, a pro bb player, taught her hitting since she could stand...
At 13 her hits would whistle as it flew by...
@RADcatcher curious about your playing time years. I just looked at the alumni that came through our Rec program and noticed that there was a player named Janna Todd who played (C, DP)for Fresno State and played in the WCWS in 1988. Familiar to you?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher curious about your playing time years. I just looked at the alumni that came through our Rec program and noticed that there was a player named Janna Todd who played (C, DP)for Fresno State and played in the WCWS in 1988. Familiar to you?
That would have been after i played college and was coaching assist at the BEACH.
Fresno was very strong and had stand out talent.
Couldnt find a pic. That would probably jar memory. :)
Interesting i tend to remember nicknames and batting stance/swings.

Dec 5, 2017
Different topic but related, what's everyone's thoughts on chest protectors? Probably covered in the past but I don't recall seeing it. When dd played rec I told parents, especially at 8u, that I would have a hard time putting girls in the infield because of how hard the ball is hit with composite bats if they didn't have on. Our league uses regular softballs, not the bouncy ones, and it's just not safe for some of the smaller inexperienced girls. Dd has actually broken her bones in her hand 2 of the 4 seasons she played rec, not a good stat to have :(. I would like to see data as to the actual protection provided by a chest protector. Dd still wears one in 12u and so do most if not all of her teammates. I think they give them more confidence if nothing else.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My take on these types of issues is that it a personal (family) decision and you need to be accountable for your choices. What bothers me most is the shaming, bias, discrimination or what ever you want to call it that comes from others whether that's a Coach, teammate, org director or whoever. This applies to face masks, flipping off the Catchers mask, face mask on the batting helmet, elbow guards, shin guards, etc.. If the level of play is directly and measurably impacted in a negative way then that needs to be addressed and accounted for (maybe that athlete doesn't play on your team or plays a different position, etc.). The other side of that coin needs to be looked at also....do some players execute more effectively with protective equipment on? Is the long game (as in not having payers sidelined due to injury) important to the team & Coach? Is the long game important to your DD (probably not at 13 yrs old but that will change over time)?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Different topic but related, what's everyone's thoughts on chest protectors? Probably covered in the past but I don't recall seeing it. When dd played rec I told parents, especially at 8u, that I would have a hard time putting girls in the infield because of how hard the ball is hit with composite bats if they didn't have on. Our league uses regular softballs, not the bouncy ones, and it's just not safe for some of the smaller inexperienced girls. Dd has actually broken her bones in her hand 2 of the 4 seasons she played rec, not a good stat to have :(. I would like to see data as to the actual protection provided by a chest protector. Dd still wears one in 12u and so do most if not all of her teammates. I think they give them more confidence if nothing else.
Why wouldn't the league use the Dixie balls? That is crazy! Composite bats don't have much impact on those balls.

When I played ball in HS I wore a cup. I would agree that it did give me a little more confidence.

May 21, 2018

I'm also curious about this. As far as I know, no one on DD's team wears a chest protector. DD pitches and plays first usually, so I'm wondering if this is something I should look into.

Oct 4, 2018
i've seen more than a few injuries eliminated with mask wearing. Anyone that tries to tell me to be better or react faster is living in Fantasy land. And any coach that forbids a player from wearing protective equipment, just opened themselves to a HUGE lawsuit if any player were to get hurt.

My DD plays in college and if she's on the dirt the mask is on PERIOD. It's not open for debate or discussion.

Exactly.

Some of this I see as a parenting issue. Parents need to be firm and unwaivering on rules. In our house it's a simple "no mask, no play" rule. Never once questioned. And while my DDs have never taken a ball to the face, they've each hit balls into opposing players faces more than once. We're quite thankful the other girls had masks on.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Neighbors player got her face crushed so DD always wore a mask, 1st player to have one and had it on all the time.

I think at 14U she stopped wearing it in the OF., which was sort of OK. She was back far enough were IF lip did not come into play.

2 stories ...

1 I was going to put your DD In to P but did not feel like looking for her mask

2 another coach grabbed her mask to bring her in. Hint for pitchers if the coach is walking out to circle with a mask in thier hands your probly done.:)

DD has arguably been the best fielder on all her Teams, she is quick and knows how to duck, I can not remember 1 time a ball hit her mask. She still has to wear it. Non negotiable.

Do not encourage other players to wear masks, each thier own.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
In our rec league the parents have no clue about the dangers of not wearing a mask, especially if you have first time players in the Infield or a new pitcher. Wearing a mask is completely foreign to them. 98% of these players will not play beyond 12U.
But once the parent recognizes the problem he/she shouldn’t be thinking “I hope someone does something about this before my dd gets hurt”.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12