Coach trying to learn to pitch seeking advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
I have set a goal of being able to effectively pitch batting practice by the start of Feb 2018 HS season.

I am well past retirement age. (I get immediate feedback if I try to muscle the ball.) I am a hitting instructor with 15+ years experience. I've also been pitching most HS seasons from 20' behind a screen using a slingshot motion. Although somewhat helpful I really believe it leaves a lot to be desired!

I don't intend to teach pitching; I just want to be able to pitch. I have watched a few videos by Bill Hillhouse. I like his keep it simple approach and he is who I am trying to follow. I have thrown 2600 pitches since the middle of May. 200 per session takes about 1 1/2 hours. I work alone throwing the length of a 55' cage except the last 30 pitches at 43 feet. Working on mechanics primarily—arm whip, wrist flick, fastball drop-type spin. Not so much accuracy for now.

I have a goal of at least 10,000 pitches by season. With anticipated progression to other facets of the pitch.

I am seeking advice/opinion/suggestions on the state of readiness I'll be come Feb 2018.

Nov 29, 2009
Why kill yourself throwing from 43'? What you need to do is to be able to throw the ball with good velocity from 20' using a windmill motion to give the players something to time from. Of course, from behind a screen. At that distance you have better control of the ball placement and you can even use a change-up. Trying to "pitch" to an entire roster is can be difficult to do even if you're far from retirement age. Throwing 35 mph with good ball placement from 20' would be a more realistic goal to shoot for and puts the timing and reaction close to what they'll see in a game.

Sep 29, 2014
Don't throw a bunch of pitches each session if you are doing it wrong. Video is your friend. You mentioned wrist flicks which means you have not read or studied threads here enough. I did it after about three months of practice my form was pretty bad but I could throw BP maybe 15 pitches or so per player in my situation it was better than wearing out my #1 or #2 arms although I usually let them split a second round of BP if we had time

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Oct 25, 2009
Why kill yourself throwing from 43'? What you need to do is to be able to throw the ball with good velocity from 20' using a windmill motion to give the players something to time from. Of course, from behind a screen. At that distance you have better control of the ball placement and you can even use a change-up. Trying to "pitch" to an entire roster is can be difficult to do even if you're far from retirement age. Throwing 35 mph with good ball placement from 20' would be a more realistic goal to shoot for and puts the timing and reaction close to what they'll see in a game.

I throw a lot from 20'. Mostly to work on outside opposite field hitting. But I don't believe it's very good for timing. Plus I can't get any movement type pitches to hit.

Just threw my 2800th pitch today. I can see a big improvement and I've barely started.

Oct 25, 2009
Don't throw a bunch of pitches each session if you are doing it wrong. Video is your friend. You mentioned wrist flicks which means you have not read or studied threads here enough. I did it after about three months of practice my form was pretty bad but I could throw BP maybe 15 pitches or so per player in my situation it was better than wearing out my #1 or #2 arms although I usually let them split a second round of BP if we had time

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm definitely going to be doing a LOT of self-analysis. I didn't really mean wrist flicks. I was trying to say wrist action. And I'm definitely going to be doing a lot of reading here. To save a little time do you know of any "must read" threads?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I love what you're doing and hope you love the process of learning to pitch as much or more than I have. Currently there isn't one DVD, website or other resource that covers everything you need (Pauly Girl Fastpitch is pretty good though!) Until Fastpitch Foundations hits the market, I'd suggest these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfxecAGYoi5Hav_GIfV47yA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqeXLsGFXa0xsGdguEPYU9w
https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulyGirl1

I'd recommend posting video of yourself here for feedback. (I'm planning to do the same sometime soon in an effort to get feedback on my drive mechanics and hopefully show how sequence trumps everything.) You can also trying sending video to your favorite DFP posters for feedback. Some are very willing to help out if time allows.

Keep us updated,
Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279