Coach Signaling We Should Resign?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2016
I would see after this weekend if she doesn't play have a talk with the coaches, but have the conversation along the lines of what she needs to improve on. Then work on those things. If nothing changes but they are good coaches teaching proper fundamentals I'd stick around, if not then I'd make a decision on looking for another team.

If the latter I would do research on teams, such as development, playing philosophy and things like that.

Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
When a player is concerned about playing time I think the process is pretty simple. You simply have that player talk to the coach. Simple question, "Coach, what do I need to do to get more time on the mound." Based on the answer from the coach, you should know what direction to take.

Mar 10, 2020
I have a question and not sure where to go.

My daughter is on a 12U B team. She joined the team last fall and was told she'd be one of the starting pitchers and would also use her in OF. We are now at a point where they are barely playing her. Had two scrimmages this week. Game 1, she didn't pitch at all. Game 2 in which they went 8 innings and won 12-0, she only pitched one inning. In that inning she had 1 SO, 1 Hit, no walks, no errors, no runs. One pitcher pitched 4 innings and another one pitched 2 innings.

My question is: do Coaches do this to signal you to resign from a team? Like they hope you "get the hint" when they do this at a scrimmage?

Thanks for your honest feedback.
If you need to ask that about playing time. I need to ask how much time is your dd putting in to earn they playing time? The coach telling your dd she was going to be one of the stsrting pitchers. Is really saying your daughter is in a pitching rotation with other pitchers who will start.

Mar 26, 2016
When a player is concerned about playing time I think the process is pretty simple. You simply have that player talk to the coach. Simple question, "Coach, what do I need to do to get more time on the mound." Based on the answer from the coach, you should know what direction to take.

I think with that you have to take the age of the kid into consideration 2nd year 14s and up would fit this.

Feb 5, 2019
What does she want? Does she want to stay in B Class and little playing time or go to a C Class and have lots of playing time? Playing C Class at least you'll have videos and memories of her playing.

Good luck and be positive. Your DD is watching you. There might be a life lesson to be taught here.

Feb 22, 2021
Similar situation for us here only we are on a 10U. HC says DD is the ace. She pitched 2 innings in our elimination game this weekend. 7 K's 1 Walk, 2 Hits. Pulled in the 3rd for a sub so the other team would see a "different" look. DW is ready to move on. HC is still actively seeking another P. Team has DD, a permanent sub, and 1 more on the team. I am trying to stay loyal to the team we picked, but she constantly gets undercut like that.

I feel your pain!

Oct 4, 2018
Similar situation for us here only we are on a 10U. HC says DD is the ace. She pitched 2 innings in our elimination game this weekend. 7 K's 1 Walk, 2 Hits. Pulled in the 3rd for a sub so the other team would see a "different" look. DW is ready to move on. HC is still actively seeking another P. Team has DD, a permanent sub, and 1 more on the team. I am trying to stay loyal to the team we picked, but she constantly gets undercut like that.

I feel your pain!

Honestly I don't see much issue with what the coach did. How many innings was the game? 3? 4? Your DD started the game, and is clearly P1 on the team. Do you want no one else to pitch a bracket game? That's unrealistic. Did you have a nice lead when she got pulled?

A good travel team needs 3 good pitchers and they will share time. My DD is a top pitcher on her team and sometimes doesn't pitch much in a tourney. That's how it goes, and it's something you'll eventually learn is normal. It sounds like he has 1 good pitcher. You can't count on a sub.

We could easily move to a team where she pitches every game. We get plenty of offers. But that's not healthy for the team, not for her, not for her arm, etc.

In 10U it's a lot about development. Let the girls try multiple positions, develop lots of pitchers. Some of that even carries into 12U.

Feb 22, 2021
Honestly I don't see much issue with what the coach did. How many innings was the game? 3? 4? Your DD started the game, and is clearly P1 on the team. Do you want no one else to pitch a bracket game? That's unrealistic. Did you have a nice lead when she got pulled?

A good travel team needs 3 good pitchers and they will share time. My DD is a top pitcher on her team and sometimes doesn't pitch much in a tourney. That's how it goes, and it's something you'll eventually learn is normal. It sounds like he has 1 good pitcher. You can't count on a sub.

We could easily move to a team where she pitches every game. We get plenty of offers. But that's not healthy for the team, not for her, not for her arm, etc.

In 10U it's a lot about development. Let the girls try multiple positions, develop lots of pitchers. Some of that even carries into 12U.
I know she won't be the only pitcher, and to win tournaments we need at least one more. Maybe I am just getting frustrated with the outcomes of our games more so than anything else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee