Coach Signaling We Should Resign?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2021
Morristown, NJ
I have a question and not sure where to go.

My daughter is on a 12U B team. She joined the team last fall and was told she'd be one of the starting pitchers and would also use her in OF. We are now at a point where they are barely playing her. Had two scrimmages this week. Game 1, she didn't pitch at all. Game 2 in which they went 8 innings and won 12-0, she only pitched one inning. In that inning she had 1 SO, 1 Hit, no walks, no errors, no runs. One pitcher pitched 4 innings and another one pitched 2 innings.

My question is: do Coaches do this to signal you to resign from a team? Like they hope you "get the hint" when they do this at a scrimmage?

Thanks for your honest feedback.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There is no way to know what the coach is thinking without asking her/him.

You can't be a blushing bride when dealing with TB. Think of TB like a job. If you don't like the assignments you are getting, you go talk to the boss. If you don't like her answers, you find another job.

Go talk to the coach and raise your concerns about playing time. Don't shy away from asking tough questions. If you don't like his answers, go find another team. Treat the coach with respect, but get the answers you deserve. It really is that simple.

IMHO, a 12U team should be playing all the kids equally.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
Did she play In the fall?
if so then I’d give it more than 2 scrimmages to form an opinion. If she didn’t play much in the fall I’d ask the coach what he sees her doing this season.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You can't make a judgment over a weekend. Is this a repeated pattern over several weekends? Maybe they are happy with your DD and needed to make decisions with the other pitchers? Not enough information to form a strong opinion one way or another. And yes at 12U everyone should be playing not necessarily equal playing time, but enough to keep everyone interested in coming back every weekend.

Nov 18, 2015
I think you'll have a better idea when tournaments start. 12B should have 3 pool play games. If she gets minimal time there, AND minimal bracket-play, then yes, have the conversation (mid-week) about where your daughter ranks in the pitching hierarchy.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Not pitching much or not playing much in those two scrimmages?

Not pitching much...you probably have some room for communication and clarification with the coach.

Not playing...in a scrimmage? Pretty clear message of either incompetence or indifference. There's no other reasonable explanation for that. Prepare to move on soon.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I have a question and not sure where to go.

My daughter is on a 12U B team. She joined the team last fall and was told she'd be one of the starting pitchers and would also use her in OF. We are now at a point where they are barely playing her. Had two scrimmages this week. Game 1, she didn't pitch at all. Game 2 in which they went 8 innings and won 12-0, she only pitched one inning. In that inning she had 1 SO, 1 Hit, no walks, no errors, no runs. One pitcher pitched 4 innings and another one pitched 2 innings.

My question is: do Coaches do this to signal you to resign from a team? Like they hope you "get the hint" when they do this at a scrimmage?

Thanks for your honest feedback.

Ugh, not envious of your DD's situation. I think that it can happen that a coach will be trying to send a signal to quit, but I think most of the time coaches will fall victim to only playing the players who contribute to the benefit of the team.

I would, however, take a note from the lack of playing time that your DD will need to elevate her output to improve her ranking in the team.

This will be the first of MANY challenges in the life of softball. Good Luck!

Jul 14, 2018
I think that it can happen that a coach will be trying to send a signal to quit, but I think most of the time coaches will fall victim to only playing the players who contribute to the benefit of the team.

I generally agree with this, I can’t imagine there are any coaches trying to run players off in early March, unless there’s 14+ players on the team.

DD was in a similar situation as a first-year 12. HC had his top nine players, and the lineup was set in stone. The team’s #1 pitcher was definitely better than DD, but she was throwing over 80% of the innings. We stuck it out for three months, but once tryout season rolled in we left to focus on finding another team.

When the other two ‘backup’ players left, the team broke up and the coach has been trying to put together another team for three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12