Coach missing at tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 23, 2019
What is the expectation of coaches being at tournament games...pool play vs bracket games...and out of town tournaments? Asking for a friend.

Sep 29, 2014
As always it depends BUT as a general rule the manager and his coaches should be at every game the team plays.

As we all know however there is more to life than softball so the question really comes down to there can be legitimate reasons why
the manager or coach could not be there, as a team do you have a right to know again this also depends. The answer can be as simply as we were visiting sick family member or we had some personal matters to attend to that we could not do any other time. Those explanations are fine if it happens ONCE and the friend of a friend doesn't show you Facebook posts of them hanging out at the beach. If they open up and tell you they have another kid who was activity X and they went to support them at some point you have to understand what their commitment level is to the team. Also what did they promise up front as long as it's not an emergency they should know their schedule and if they said they couldn't make certain dates then you knew that up front and can't complain now because its what you signed up for.

All that to say they SHOULD be there BUT if they aren't you have to handle it on a case by case basis.

Sep 23, 2018
As a HC, I have never missed a game or practice. It is hard to juggle work, softball, family, but I take the position seriously, and do my best. However, sometimes we will be short an AC for games because of work, vacations, family emergencies, etc. It has rarely been an issue, but sometimes it does put a strain on things.

I think it makes a difference on paid vs. volunteer, and amount of notice.

Sep 29, 2014
True...when I coached I had a job that required me to travel I told everyone up front I will be out of town probably 25% of the time and i have two great assistants that will take over if I am not there...we were all volunteers...we made it work

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
Things happen and there are life events that take place that nobody should have to miss for softball. It is just a game after all. Capable assistant coaches are key. As long as the coach doesn't make it a habit, all is good.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
What is the expectation of coaches being at tournament games...pool play vs bracket games...and out of town tournaments? Asking for a friend.
What was the reason/excuse given? We don't have enough information. Is this a volunteer coach? Did a job demand get in the way? Was there sickness? My family has had a terrible week with sick animals. Had I had to coach this past week in now way could I have been there. I also would not feel the need to have to explain myself if I were a volunteer coach. Life happens. If I were a paid coach, I would hope that other arrangements were made within the organization.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
At the end of the day, why does this matter? What action would you take? If you don't like the team, leave. Otherwise, just enjoy your kiddo. Enjoy life.

[I say this because I have been the world's worst at this, worrying about things]

Apr 28, 2019
At the end of the day, why does this matter? What action would you take? If you don't like the team, leave. Otherwise, just enjoy your kiddo. Enjoy life.

[I say this because I have been the world's worst at this, worrying about things]
You want your team to be well organized. Hitting nets set-up, players going through their stretches before warming-up throwing. Pitchers & catchers warming-up. Parents setting-up tents getting the food/drinks organized etc....

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Really depends on the reason and coverage when coach is not there.

I rarely miss a practice, game or tournament but when I do there is usually a good reason and I make sure my ACs are prepared to cover.

Think this year was the first time I missed a tournament but son was graduating from college so I think I had a decent excuse.