Coach missing at tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Throughout my entire coaching career, I have only missed one tournament. And that was due to the death of my father. It happened early on a Friday morning. Later that day I got in contact with the other coaches to let them know I wan't going to be available. My daughter also missed that tournament as she was very close to my dad. Other than that, I heavy never missed any official games.

I have worked with some other coaches that have missed some games due to work commitments, but this was known well in advance. We typically have a parent available that can handle the book for us and our third coach takes over for one of the other two. It has never been a problem for our teams.

Now if the coach is missing games without providing solid reasons, I would be a little more concerned.

Feb 15, 2016
Throughout my entire coaching career, I have only missed one tournament. And that was due to the death of my father. It happened early on a Friday morning. Later that day I got in contact with the other coaches to let them know I wan't going to be available. My daughter also missed that tournament as she was very close to my dad. Other than that, I heavy never missed any official games.

I have worked with some other coaches that have missed some games due to work commitments, but this was known well in advance. We typically have a parent available that can handle the book for us and our third coach takes over for one of the other two. It has never been a problem for our teams.

Now if the coach is missing games without providing solid reasons, I would be a little more concerned.

Family events like weddings, funerals, and graduations happen. I agree with several others who mentioned a different standard for paid vs. volunteer coaches. My DDs were on teams where the HC just could not make it for a big tournament but the parents and ACs all wanted to play anyway. I have seen HCs schedule tournaments around their schedule and not what works best for everyone else. You can't move the XYZ qualifier so if your team wants to qualify you have to play there even if the HC has a conflict and can't make it. HC, go to your nephew's wedding and enjoy it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Let's see... I coached rec baseball, softball, basketball, and soccer...and TB softball and basketball. I coached for about 25 years. I missed one rec soccer game because of work. I was late for one TB game because I made a wrong turn at Peoria

May 29, 2015
True...when I coached I had a job that required me to travel I told everyone up front I will be out of town probably 25% of the time and i have two great assistants that will take over if I am not there...we were all volunteers...we made it work

Winning answer right there.

While we would all like the HC to always be there, this is not a profession. We all have to pay bills and handle life. Even if you are paying your HC, are you paying a livable wage that this should be the number one priority? Doubt it.

A well functioning team is one where ALL of the coaches can capably handle the team when needed. The HC you don’t want is the one who cancels practices or doesn’t schedule games based on his/her schedule.

Nov 29, 2009
I worked with a team a few years back. I worked with them at practices and that was it. I wasn't paid. I wasn't running the team. The rest of it was up to the HC. But everyone knew it going into it.

I know when I was a HC it usually cost me about $5K in lost work revenue to coach a team. Anything I was paid did not make up the difference. I work for myself and what I do has a 24-48 shelf life to it. After that it is gone and can't be made up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802