Coach dislikes my DD ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Why, when we are ahead by 10+ runs in inning one or two, are the top players still on the field? Isn't this the perfect time to give players who may be less skilled/experienced some time on the field?
(we have mercied numerous teams this season)

One possible explanation is that they are concerned with the seeding going into bracket play. We actually got rained out last Sunday and the tournament victors were decided by the pool play seeding with 1st and 2nd going to the top two teams. One or two runs could make a difference.

Having said that, if you team is about improving players then there really isn't any reason to sacrifice player's innings for pool play seeding. It all depends on your coaches priorities.

How did your talk with the coach go?

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Waiting for him to call me back ... hopefully it will be productive.
E-mail indicated no skills present to warrant innings, something about unexcused absences but no idea what that is about.

We got a 3rd place as Sunday a rain out once...yelled at all the girls for sloppy play...
it was 4 errors by 1st base that scored 4 ending up in a tie for us ...
that kid is still a first base.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Something to think about, because I experienced it myself!
Had a girl about 5 years ago that meant the world to me, played for a 14U travel team and because of lack of playing time, more so because the head coach regularly ignored her when he played his daughter and her friends with MUCH less skills and who ACTUALLY Quit the team, until we started winning tournies.......
She had been treated unfairly for a few tournies in a row, coach apologized, but did it to her again.
** MY EMOTIONS, after she called me in tears, was "ok, I'll back you if you want to quit". BIG MISTAKE on my part - - quitting is too easy, softball teaches life lessons and one of these are dealing with adversary, sticking the season out, THEN changing direction. I let her quit, then as a HS AP student (extremely bright), she QUIT HS as a junior because her friends and she were arguing over boys! I feel the lesson she should have learned during the softball season she quit, made it easy to quit when things got hard in HS. May be silly, but I strongly feel she could have learned a good lesson by sticking out the season. (It took days of talking w/ her, her Principle, her Mom and getting her back in school, where she continued to play V'Ball and Started as Catcher for her Varsity team as a Senior.)

Bottom line - I think it is better to have her keep working hard, cause the VERY LEAST, she IS improving herself and if she can stick out the last few weeks of the season, THEN move to another team. You may be surprised that her coaches may see her great attitude and perseverance. Others will anyway. Mainly teaches her quitting is the EASY way out, when times get hard, work harder, when you reach the end of your rope... tie a knot at the end and HOLD ON!

Nov 8, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Prove him wrong!

This happened to my DD back in 10U all-stars. They used her for her bat. That was her strength. My kid wanted to play in the infield, but did not. She played right field when she played. She was on a very good team. The other kids were extraordinary for their age. My DD cried to the coach about playing time. He replied, "I have no time for feelings, I'm here to win". The coach had the core of girls for 3 years before we came into the picture. We left the rec ball after that. I found a travel team Coach with no kid on the team. My kid’s skills blew up. The coach was hardcore. He demanded perfection from all the girls. My DD has kept improving. Most of those girls are washed up now. Their careers ended in 12U. I suggest you go to the games to have fun. Enjoy your DD's playing time. Do it for your kid. You are going to win some and loose some, that is a given. Pick your battles. Softball at the rec level is very political. We coach 8u now just to make sure our younger DD doesn't run into this kind of nonsense. I'm fair, but I will ask a kid to leave my team if she is just not into it. I want kids that are interested and able. Otherwise I can't teach. My older DD won 12U ASA Western Nationals in 08. I think we showed that coach what was up. You should do the same. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee