Coach chooses to bat 9

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 18, 2019
You as a parent approach the coach after first bracket game (won) and question the coaching decision to bat 9 with DP/FLEX. Your daughter was the FLEX. How would you like/appreciate/expect the coach to respond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2016
Depends... Need more info. Rec league All Stars? Travel Ball? Age 10u? 12u? 14u? 16u? Etc etc What type of tournament is it? Random weekend tourny? National? Showcase? Etc etc. All those details play a role in the "importance" of the tournament at specific ages and levels of play.

Heck...if my DD is "Sucky Sally" and she's the Flex...Im elated and happy she's not riding the bench like those other 3 losers are. 😜 Im kidding . sort of..... 😀

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You can not know how much I disliked DD's HC. 1st game on team, before it started, I asked what the batting lineup rules were, You can bat all your players or 9, OK.

DD never saw the field. Next game DD came over and she said she wasn't playing again. HC's wife was there when I asked DD what she did to annoy the coach, she said nothing. HC's wife went and talked to them and a least saw the field the 2nd game.

Kind of how the year went, none of us had fun.

If it happens once, explain your reasoning. If it happens all the time it is a problem.

Nov 18, 2015
I’d like them to respond with a “OMG - she wasn’t supposed to be flex - she should have batted 3rd!”

I’d appreciate any type of civil / courteous response.

I’d expect them to respectfully remind me to wait 24 hours to discuss any coaching decisions.

And I would then thank him or her for having enough trust in my daughters glove that she was out there every inning, and maybe ask if he can recommend a hitting coach to help earn her spot back in the batting order.

We just struggled with this ourselves for the first time - our 10U team entered bracket play, and we decided to try the DP/Flex option to give us the strongest batting order possible. Lots of variables come into play - kudos to your coach for taking the time to figure that rule out and using it to your advantage (since your team won).

And yes, I’d respond different if it was used for a scrimmage or pool play game that won’t affect anything. Playing to win is tough to understand at times when it’s your daughter being left on the bench - but a win means one more game for everyone, and in your daughters case, another 4-7 innings in the field.

Hope that helps explain a coaches perspective a little.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
You as a parent approach the coach after first bracket game (won) and question the coaching decision to bat 9 with DP/FLEX. Your daughter was the FLEX. How would you like/appreciate/expect the coach to respond?

"Sorry you know our rules, if you want to talk about your daughter, how she is developing and why I made the decisions I made, we can do it tomorrow. Email or text me tomorrow and we can set up a time."

I am 100% not talking to you about this after a game.

If you want to coach and make decisions then coach. If you want to find another coach easier to bully on game day - go for it. Second guessing the coach especially on decisions involving your own daughter are not going to go down well especially if you try to do it after a game - one you WON. As the Head Coach, I am a benevolent dictator and whatever decsions I make, I make.

I am happy to talk about any girls development and current role with their parents and the player on any day of the week - except game day. Parents on my teams know that is how it works.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

Don't do it.

At the very least, don't do it until the tournament is over (+24 hrs) and you can take full stock of what you saw. Did the coach put her in the lineup the next game and FLEX someone else? Or, did she not hit all through bracket play?

Some perspective about age and competitive level would be nice. My guess from your question is that she's on the younger side.

Is your DD over-matched at the plate? Be honest about what you're looking at. If so, go to the HC and find out what you can do to make her better. If she's really as good or better than the kids that are hitting, a conversation with the coach may be warranted. If you want a reasonable and positive response, refrain from directly "questioning the coaching decision". Asking why he's not using her more is reasonable. If he can't give a satisfactory answer, and she's a good player, then it's time to find another team. If she's on the lower end of the scale in terms of ability, figure out how to fix that, or find a team that better fits her current skill level.

All that said, I'll bat the entire lineup every time in pool play, and I'll hit 9 in bracket only if forced. If everyone in the dugout is capable, I'll hit as many as I'm allowed. You never know who might step up, and many games are won at the bottom of the lineup.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Second guessing the coach especially on decisions involving your own daughter are not going to go down well especially if you try to do it after a game - one you WON.

Yep, that's a bad idea, but it's probably an even worse move after a game that was just LOST. Especially in mid-summer.

Aug 18, 2019
Depends... Need more info. Rec league All Stars? Travel Ball? Age 10u? 12u? 14u? 16u? Etc etc What type of tournament is it? Random weekend tourny? National? Showcase? Etc etc. All those details play a role in the "importance" of the tournament at specific ages and levels of play.

Heck...if my DD is "Sucky Sally" and she's the Flex...Im elated and happy she's not riding the bench like those other 3 losers are. Im kidding . sort of.....

Good questions. 12A Travel team at “Nationals” tournament (but modified somewhat due to COVID). Team hasn’t done this yet in 6 tourneys this season.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Ok...so competition level is high, and maybe coach is pulling out all the stops. If it's a Tournament USA event, he doesn't have a choice but to bat 9. See how it plays out...she's on the field playing defense in bracket play.

Aug 8, 2016
Do you have a rule about waiting 24 hours after the tournament to talk about playing time issues and are you trying to keep her around for the fall? I think both of those would be a factor in how I respond to a parent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28