Coach chooses to bat 9

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
1st time coach is doing this...
and the team won 1st game at nationals.
Wonder if the parent of the dp hitter is wondering why their kid isnt playing defense?

How many on the roster?
Anyone sitting?
Does the coach normally tell parents their plans?

As others commented
Could be rules of tourny.
Coach going with strategy.

Whats the update on next games to be played?

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Good questions. 12A Travel team at “Nationals” tournament (but modified somewhat due to COVID). Team hasn’t done this yet in 6 tourneys this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not have had that conversation with you during a tournament, especially at Nationals!

Just a little perspective from the coaching side. It is impossible for a coach to make everyone happy.

The coach could have batted the entire team, and the parents would have been disappointed if the team lost. That scenario is disappointing to the parents that have children on the team that are in the top half. Or, the coach can bat 9 and play to win. That scenario, disappoints the parents that have children in the bottom half of the team. That is what I mean about it being impossible to make everyone happy.

Feb 3, 2011
You as a parent approach the coach after first bracket game (won) and question the coaching decision to bat 9 with DP/FLEX. Your daughter was the FLEX. How would you like/appreciate/expect the coach to respond?
Although I admire your candor here, there is a 0% chance we're having any conversation like that on game day. I will make time the following week to address any concerns you may have, but we're not talking lineups, strategy, or playing time* during the tournament.

What are your player's goals and what do you want for her? You're welcome to find a team that has a "question the coach anytime" policy, but I can guarantee those teams aren't playing late on Sundays in high-level events.

*If you catch BOO (for either team), quietly bring it to the attention of our team's scorekeeper.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
You as a parent approach the coach after first bracket game (won) and question the coaching decision to bat 9 with DP/FLEX. Your daughter was the FLEX. How would you like/appreciate/expect the coach to respond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where would the player that was the flex rank as a hitter on the team? Has this player been struggling hitting, ok hitting or smoking it at the plate? Does this player handle good velocity well? Does she handle slower speed pitchers well? A few questions that need answered if you think you have a legitimate concern with the player only flexing.

Most important question: Does the flex player feel she has been treated unfairly or do the parents feel like they have been treated unfairly? I ask this because most players understand the lineup and defensive positions. Players know other players are better hitters or better definitively. Players typically get it. Adults in some cases don’t.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Where would the player that was the flex rank as a hitter on the team? Has this player been struggling hitting, ok hitting or smoking it at the plate? Does this player handle good velocity well? Does she handle slower speed pitchers well? A few questions that need answered if you think you have a legitimate concern with the player only flexing.

Most important question: Does the flex player feel she has been treated unfairly or do the parents feel like they have been treated unfairly? I ask this because most players understand the lineup and defensive positions. Players know other players are better hitters or better definitively. Players typically get it. Adults in some cases don’t.

This ^^^

Bracket play at National tournament, you can expect that the coaches are putting a team on the field that they think gives the team the best chance to win (if they aren't, they aren't doing their job). Somewhere in the DP/Flex decision is a determination of which 9 are the best fielders (your DD being one), and which are the best 9 hitters (your DD not being one)...but it's not always that simple. If your DD is both fielding and hitting, someone else is the Flex, and maybe that player doesn't fit as well in the defensive scheme for the whole team.

In my experience as a former coach of a 12U TB team, a whole lot of parents have trouble seeing the bigger picture of the team, and only look at things through the perspective of their DD.

An example...
12U TCS World Series elimination game. #1 C is injured. #3 C starts behind the plate. #2 C starts at 2B. Mom of #2 C gets pissed off that her princess didn't play C. What mom struggled to understand was that #2 C was - by far - our best 2B. Putting her behind the plate would ,mean using a player at 2B who had shown a pattern of being a liability on defense. Whereas, #3 C was close in ability to #2 C behind the plate. For the defensive scenario of the whole team, this was a better choice.

Sometimes it comes down to who is hot right now - either hitting, or on defense - or even just a hunch.

Here's a tip...
If you want a spot in the starting 9, and you're not getting it, get better. Do the work to improve until you can't be ignored. Be so good you're undeniable.

Feb 20, 2020
This ^^^

Bracket play at National tournament, you can expect that the coaches are putting a team on the field that they think gives the team the best chance to win (if they aren't, they aren't doing their job). Somewhere in the DP/Flex decision is a determination of which 9 are the best fielders (your DD being one), and which are the best 9 hitters (your DD not being one)...but it's not always that simple. If your DD is both fielding and hitting, someone else is the Flex, and maybe that player doesn't fit as well in the defensive scheme for the whole team.

In my experience as a former coach of a 12U TB team, a whole lot of parents have trouble seeing the bigger picture of the team, and only look at things through the perspective of their DD.

An example...
12U TCS World Series elimination game. #1 C is injured. #3 C starts behind the plate. #2 C starts at 2B. Mom of #2 C gets pissed off that her princess didn't play C. What mom struggled to understand was that #2 C was - by far - our best 2B. Putting her behind the plate would ,mean using a player at 2B who had shown a pattern of being a liability on defense. Whereas, #3 C was close in ability to #2 C behind the plate. For the defensive scenario of the whole team, this was a better choice.

Sometimes it comes down to who is hot right now - either hitting, or on defense - or even just a hunch.

Here's a tip...
If you want a spot in the starting 9, and you're not getting it, get better. Do the work to improve until you can't be ignored. Be so good you're undeniable.

I’ve heard that for years, and in my experience it never really happens. At the level of nationals, the difference between a solid girl and a great one are negotiable, and breaking through an established hierarchy is nearly impossible. Girls never become undeniable and they rarely overcome a coach’s First impression/assignment. If the kid starts playing well in practice it becomes a “more comfortable in games” type response. Coaches are human and they have their favorites and that factors into their game day decisions.

As for the OP, the only thing I’d say to the coach is thanks for the opportunity while you look for a new team. Because if a coach has the option of batting more of his team and he chooses not to, then his priorities are a bit askew and your DD will be better off somewhere else. His whole bench practices; his whole bench tries, and he intentionally negates their efforts by choosing to not give them a chance to play the game. Nothing’s to be gained by saying something, but the decisions says a lot about him as a person, and that’s good info to have.

Aug 20, 2017
Winning the first bracket game is typically critical to having a good draw the rest of the way. Once my team has won the first one, I’m rotating number 1 and number 2 catcher. Same with number 1 and number 2 pitcher. When they don’t play defense, they will be extra hitters but will not play somewhere else on defense. Goes for pitchers and catchers. Had this issue come up recently when I sat number two catcher. She was still my lead off hitter but didn’t play defense. I’m done with them for the fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802