Coach chooses to bat 9

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2016
Some people just aren’t meant for travel ball. It’s Nationals and the coach is trying to win. As a parent I’d expect nothing less. You can disagree with the strategy, but the OP was just upset over playing time. Which is doubly ridiculous because she still played as the flex.

The OP is the coach

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
The OP's DD played. She was a starter in the Flex position. We don't have any information about how the coach handled the next game. Based on the information we do have, the OP's DD has been in the starting batting order in other events.

If you're going to freak out about how your DD was used in one game, I won't try to change your mind if you want to find another team.
I agree that sitting for one game is not a reason for concern. I was speaking more about the situation where the same player(s) consistently get less, or no playing time. Obviously everyone can't play all of the time when you have more than the minimum number of players on the team. And then there are other factors, like sitting players who don't bother to show up for practice or don't take it seriously when they do show up. Those players deserve less playing time. If they don't suffer any consequences for that behavior, it will continue, and spread to other players. My whole point was that the job of coaches is to develop all of the players, not just try to win games. If coaches don't make that their primary goal, then I would go elsewhere.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Nothing gets players (and parents) attention and motivates them more than the coach announcing we are only batting 9 or 10 next Sunday. Come Saturday, everybody is on time and a little more focused. Healthy competition amongst teammates is a good thing.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Or herself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't sweat it.. The hardest it ever gets is 12u A at a national tournament.. From here on out including college, most of the coaches play and bat everyone, especially at the biggest tournaments!

I realize this is an old post and I'm completely kidding.. Take a deep breath and realize it only gets more difficult as the teams get better and the players get older. Hopefully you realize that your DD is an important part of the team and that the teams job is to win at big tournaments.

How has your summer gone after this post originally in July??

Aug 18, 2019
This has all been super helpful and thank you to everyone who has put in their two cents. Very appreciated!

Aug 18, 2019
Don't sweat it.. The hardest it ever gets is 12u A at a national tournament.. From here on out including college, most of the coaches play and bat everyone, especially at the biggest tournaments!

I realize this is an old post and I'm completely kidding.. Take a deep breath and realize it only gets more difficult as the teams get better and the players get older. Hopefully you realize that your DD is an important part of the team and that the teams job is to win at big tournaments.

How has your summer gone after this post originally in July??

Thanks for asking. Was a slightly stressful change over at tryout time in August (it always is) but we have a great team and have had an awesome fall ball season. Playing up, learning a lot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28