CLOSED GLOVE and hand to SCOOP a Slow rolling ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Slow rolling ball - Approach to ball and how to field it...
( I do teach that if a ball is stopped or near stopped, to bare hand, but any rolling ball to use BOTH the glove (OPEN FACED) and hand to SCOOP the ball. )

16U Coach tells his girls on a slow rolling ball to CLOSE their glove so it is FLAT and use the outside of the glove and their hand to pick up the ball, so the bal doesn't get caught IN the glove.

????? I almost feel like everything I learned at clinics for YEARS has gone out the window, Is this a new way we are supposed to teach and I missed out??

May 7, 2008
Tucson
NO, I am very familiar with that. He is right.

I just have never done it. It is a great way to field the ball.

It sounds like you have a good coach.

May 13, 2008
Some middle infielders catch the throw like this to start a double play. Soft hands and keeping the ball near the trigger point for a faster release. This is the same concept, just on the ground.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The technique is for advanced softball players (you would never teach this to a rec 10U team) . It allows the fielder to throw the ball a fraction of a second faster on bunts, which is sometimes critical. Unlike baseball, every millisecond is important in softball.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Coach is a very good coach, though I've never seen this taught before and I'm not sure even at our young team (mainly 1st year 16U and no real coaching last 2+ years), but if this technique is being taught, then hats off to coach. I like him, so I'm glad its me, not him.

Thanks all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2