Choosing college, the beginning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD is a sophomore and has no clue what she wants to be when she grows up. She and I will be sitting down this weekend and choosing the schools she wants to contact based on basic requirements set by her.

What would be good "requirements"? Example:
1) DI or DII
2) meduim sized school
3) must have football team
4) distance from home doesn't matter
5) etc...

Jul 9, 2010
I would add NAIA and D3 to your list. It would help if she had some idea of what she wants to do, but my sophomore DD has no idea either, so I know how that goes.

If possible, try to visit some campuses that aren't too far away, so she can get a feel for large vs small, etc. As a sophomore, though, she should fill out the online questionnaires at as many schools as the two of you can stand doing. I'd shoot for 30-50.

One thing to try to look at also: look at their rosters, and see what positions the current sophomores play. That may help you to get an idea of what positions may be on their radar. That's not ironclad, but could help some.

Dec 28, 2008
Still time to register for the Free College Webinar I'm hosting tomorrow night from 8:00 - 9:00 PM EST. We will be walking through the process, showing examples of profiles, emails and skills videos. Fielding any/all questions. I will also be showing how to use some web sites to search for schools based on the criteria you've listed. All you have to do is register and then connect tomorrow night:
https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/244191366

Dec 3, 2008
Competition level of college/conference
Willing to sit the bench and/or red-shirt a year
Rural/urban
Small/medium/large school
Softball Stadium/Facilities
Like the coach
Close to home
No harsh winter
Opportunity to start right away
Academic reputation