Choose based on organization or team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2017
Madison, WI
When determining where to play for next season, do you always choose based on the brand/reputation of the organization rather than the dynamics of the individual team? My DD is entering first year 14U and has offers to play for two national organizations based out of the Midwest. Both are well-respected, with org 1 without question more highly regarded than org 2. Org 1 is a complete disaster when it comes to communication (do not know who the coach will be and only a couple of the players), while org 2 is completely clear on tournament schedule, fees, and where DD fits into both the team and organization's plans. Both teams will likely play virtually identical national schedules that include all of the most prominent events. We know that org 2's team will be very competitive even at a national level; org 1, who knows?

Org 1 is making the claim that going with org 2 will greatly limit DD's ability to be recruited, and that we are crazy to turn down an offer to play on their top team. My gut is telling me to go with org 2 and that the rocky start with org 1 is a sign of more trouble to come. DD also prefers org 2 but if afraid that doing so will prevent her from reaching her goals. I know there are many factors that go into this decision, but how much truth is there to where she plays when she is 13 will define (or limit) her opportunities going forward?

Thanks...Jules

Jun 11, 2012
Most of the contact for recruiting is done between player and emails to college coaches so regardless of who she plays for she will still have ample opportunities to get recruited.
I’d go with team 2 just because from your post it seems team 1 is not transparent in what they expect from your DD and family.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree with @murphdog regarding recruiting. The player/college coach relationship is by far the most important part of that equation. That said, in some cases, and organization can help foster those relationships, mostly by how they schedule their tournaments. But if both teams are scheduling similarly, it doesn't seem like that is an issue.

You should also determine if either org utilizes a recruitment coordinator. Some orgs do, some don't. But a person in that role, when done properly, can help your daughter with the process. Assuming the coordinator knows what they are doing...

Based on the information in the OP, I would choose org 2, but possibly for a reason that others may not agree with. In the OP, you made the comment "Org 1 is making the claim that going with org 2 will greatly limit DD's ability to be recruited". Mud slinging is a complete turn off to me. If this org's greatest selling point is to trash the other org, that would be reason enough for me to walk away from Org 1. But that's just a pet peeve of mine. I want the org to tell me why I should sign with them, not why I shouldn't sign with the other org. I just see that as unprofessional.

Jun 11, 2012
Based on the information in the OP, I would choose org 2, but possibly for a reason that others may not agree with. In the OP, you made the comment "Org 1 is making the claim that going with org 2 will greatly limit DD's ability to be recruited". Mud slinging is a complete turn off to me. If this org's greatest selling point is to trash the other org, that would be reason enough for me to walk away from Org 1. But that's just a pet peeve of mine. I want the org to tell me why I should sign with them, not why I shouldn't sign with the other org. I just see that as unprofessional.
I totally agree with this. DD left a large organization to go to a smaller yet very well respected one. She played for the smaller team for 3 years and is playing college now.
We found out at the end of season cookout after her last season before college that one of the coaches of the first organization called the new coach and told him not to take her.
He told us that the best decision he ever made was not listening to that guy.

Dec 6, 2016
This has been our journey:

My DD played on a fantastic team in 14U. That team was not one of the "Big 3" orgs in our area, but they were really good. We played the "big" teams and beat them 75% of the time. During those two seasons, my DD was in the recruiting process heavily. We were going to camp after camp with no real interest...we did have several coaches personally invite us back, but didn't feel like it was true interest.

The next season we moved to the #1 team of the "Big 3" org and my DD immediately received 3 offers who had never seen her play live (all 3 offers were from mid-major D1's). They only saw her videos online. This was done by DD sending out emails to coaches with her new team name and links to her video of a scrimmage we played with her in her new uniform. During our visits and talking to the coaches who made offers, they all said that they made the offer because of the name on the front of her jersey. They knew that the org only carries high quality players and it makes their job much easier in their recruiting process.

I'm just telling our story and how the recruiting worked out for us. The "Big 3" org really opened up a lot of doors for my daughter. She did commit to a D1 in the Ohio Valley Conference. Just my .02.

So, the moral of the story...if anyone tells you that the name on the front of the jersey doesn't matter, it's because they've never been on one of the big teams and seen the doors that were opened.

No matter which way your family chooses, good luck. It always seems to work out in the end!

Mar 20, 2017
Madison, WI
Thanks, really appreciate the responses. Org 1's pitch to DD is "we want to make you a star. just look at the schools we recruit into. there's no way you will get where you want to go with org 2." To me, this comes across as a sales pitch. To a 13YO, it is very effective. Part of me wants to say no to org 1 for what I think is borderline manipulative behavior, but I am also fearful of limiting her opportunities because of a "gut feeling" over the lack of information and clear vision coming from org 1.

How quickly things have changed...it seems like just last week that she was playing 12U (maybe since it was :)). Jules

Oct 4, 2018
How long do you have to decide?

I do believe that the name on the (front of the) jersey matters. I wish it wasn't so, but it is.

Perhaps Org 1 gets their act together in short order? Perhaps it's worth holding out until your DD can go to a workout/practice/try-out with more of the girls that will be on the team?

You know Org 1 will draw plenty of talent.

Right now I'd lean towards Org 2 as well. But I'd certainly not make the decision today if you don't have to.

Apr 26, 2015
DD was in a similar position this year. She has played for a very well respected local team for 2 years now. Last year her HS coach asked that she switch and play for her team - which is part of a national organization. We declined, wanting to keep TB and HS ball separate. This year the HS coach again pressed for DD to switch to her org "because it's the only way to get recruited in this state". DD declined again and decided to remain with her current team (who is coincidentally moving to another big name org this fall). We know how DD's coach operates and what to expect. There is no drama on the team. DD's HS coach's team is DRAMA filled! No thanks!

Funny thing is - DD was playing at a World Series event this past week and she got "noticed" by a DIII coach - who went and asked her coach about DD. (I posted another thread about it).

We haven't been thru the recruiting process yet - but as I understand it - it is more important to get to camps and email coaches than to play for a big name org. I am sure that the name on the jersey can have some pull, but all in all we would rather DD play and have fun - because that is when she plays her best.

So...my $.02 - go with Org 2.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802