Chocolate milk is good for you

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
When I was a kid growing up we were told that adding chocolate to milk would take all the nutrition out of it. Regular milk was fine, but skip the chocolate.

I just read an article in the NCFA's Recruiting supplement written by Brandon Marcello, the strength and fitness coach for Team USA, that says chocolate milk is a good choice for recoverr after a workout. In fact, he references a 2006 study in the International Journal of Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism that showed it's a better choice than those fancy carbohydrate drinks that go for $40 or more a bottle. While the price of milk has gone up, it's a lot less than $40 a bottle. Tastes better too.

What's on your training table? If you're getting into your off-season strength and conditioning program (as you should be), make sure there's some chocolate milk in the fridge.

More...

Jun 16, 2008
I read an article about The University of Michigan's strength and conditioning coach. He came from West Virginia with Rich Rodriguez. He also gives players chocolate milk after a workout. I'm not sure their performance this past weekend is a great endorsement, but I believe he is considered one of the best and most innovative strength coaches. His statement was basically that you were drinking milk regularly when you were a small child. That was also the time of your life where you gained the most strength and developed the quickest.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Amy -- leave it to you! :)

I like grabbing a swing of chocolate milk now and then. It's not much good if you're thirsty -- I find I'm still thirsty afterward - but it is tasty!

May 27, 2008
Have to laugh at this one. DD called last night and was telling us of the whole team drinking chocolate milk after morning and afternoon workouts.

They love it.

Jun 16, 2008
I read once that a peanut butter & jelly sandwich was a good choice between games. (You know - those games when you have 10 minutes before the next one and your DD is starving, but there is no time) Any opinions on that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802