Cheering???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hi, I would love your opinion on this. My softball coach will not allow us to cheer personaly I sort of disagree with this. Doing funny little cheers lightens up your team when they are either nervous, losing, or fusterated. I recently pick up played for a team that cheered non stop, it was actualy pretty fun we were all laughing in the dugout and having fun, but at the same time cheering helped them stay focused in the game. My team, when we are all sitting in the dugout most of the girls' mind wander off. With this other team that I played with was another story, they were all focused and intensly in the game. It also rattles the other team, but I agree that unsportsman like cheers should not be said. I also feel that it shows that your team is behind you all the way, through thick and thin. So cheers can be good or bad at the same time. Agian please give me your opinion!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am betting that your coach is a male and over 45.

If everyone feels the way that you do, you need to approach him in a professional manner at a practice and tell him.

IT'S YOU AND ME JELLY! YOU GO NOW, BIG SHOOTER. LIGHT HER UP, JELLY! GET THE BATTER! SHOOOOOT TO ME!:D

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For heaven's sakes, we don't want anyone to have any fun when they play softball...it should be a very serious matter.

At the risk of being accused of being a sexist, women in all cultures like to sing and clap when they work. It seems to be as natural to women as the rain falling from the sky.

It is good fun. Kids should enjoy the game and have a good time. Or, is softball just too serious for fun?

May 12, 2008
I am betting that your coach is a male and over 45.

Hey, I resemble that remark and I have NO problem with loud teams and organized cheering. :) Even if I did it would come low on the list of things I'd try to change about ball players or females in general for that matter. Ladies, if you hit the ball, the cut off and the strike zone, you can cheer any old way you darn well please.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I do admit that sometimes the cheering does get to me, too. But, we women really like to burst into song. :p Personally, I whistle while I work.

Jul 9, 2008
OK...cheers can distract you from the focus of your game..I know cause I have been distracted one too many times...and cheering does relieve stress...here's what i would do...cheer about 5-7 times a game..not in a row..and definetely not any disrespecting cheers...

Attachments

• Bent finger rise 2.jpg
    Bent finger rise 2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 66

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I'm personally not a big fan of the sing-song cheers anymore, but if my team wanted to do it I wouldn't stop them. I figure as coach I have bigger things to worry about than cheers, as long as they're positive and focused on our team. I do like my players to make noise and cheer on their teammates, just not in the canned cheers way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478