Check swing vs Actual swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah it is completely different but IMO you gotta try, after one year at 12U I just taught myself to pitch worked out great cause my DD was learning to be a catcher; you just wear out your pitchers arms during BP and while I always did a rotation with the machine it's not exactly the same, neither is being behind a screen 25 or 30 feet away. Almost got really clocked once though by best hitter on our team hit an absolute screamer back at me all I could do was put glove in front of my face then fell backwards flat on my back...I always recommend masks for pitchers now, it was an adreniline rush I don't ever really want to expierience again.
Yeah, at the moment I throw "old man windmill" e.g. stiff as hell cannot get to 12 o'clock windmill, usually from 15 to 20 feet behind an L-screen. My sons will have the advantage of having Dad being able to throw better BP to them..assuming my arm doesn't fall off.

Jun 8, 2016
For some reason, figuring out how to adjust your timing for slower pitching instead of adjusting your mechanics, seems to be a big bugaboo for younger ones. You can tell them to start later or move out a little slower but really it is something that they just need to figure out on their own. In lieu of playing games where different ball speeds are being seen, as I did as a youth (wiffle ball vs speed ball vs HR derby etc) doing things like a two plate drill can be useful but in the end they need to be able to figure it out in the on deck circle for themselves.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
She is reaching with her front leg in both. Probably means she is not coiling inward. Dad needs to buy a zoom lens.

In the check, she did not stride on the back leg very far. Maybe she knew the pitch was no good at that point.

"You can tell them to start later " Be careful with this. Most kids do not start moving forward until the ball is a strike. Then it's too late. So, for most kids start moving when the coach or kid let's go (at this age). If you need to adjust, do it from there - ex. ball release, take a one/two count, then stride.

Oct 2, 2017
She is reaching with her front leg in both. Probably means she is not coiling inward. Dad needs to buy a zoom lens.

In the check, she did not stride on the back leg very far. Maybe she knew the pitch was no good at that point.

"You can tell them to start later " Be careful with this. Most kids do not start moving forward until the ball is a strike. Then it's too late. So, for most kids start moving when the coach or kid let's go (at this age). If you need to adjust, do it from there - ex. ball release, take a one/two count, then stride.
Reaching would be if the center of stays back and thestride foot reaches out. She doesn't do that to me
Her center of mass definitely progresses forward. At least to me.

Jun 8, 2016

Every kid is different so sure if they are not starting early enough in general that would be a problem. I do not see her starting too late, do you? However what you said e.g. "If you need to adjust, do it from there - ex. ball release, take a one/two count, then stride." is , in fact, starting later.

Like I said, in reality once somebody has the basic timing mechanism down, they need to adjust for themselves in the on deck circle which for most at the younger ages seems to be easier said than done.

Last edited: