Cheating or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Having a parent/coach say to the hitter either "turn on it" or "go with it" just as catcher sets up location. Basically telling hitter where the catcher is setting up. Cheating?

How about picking off signs and coach says hitter's name (lets go Johnny) on off speed or calls out hitter's number (Lets go 9) on fastball. Cheating?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There are so many ways to deal with this and I don't consider this cheating if it is generated by someone in the game. When I find teams doing this, we try to use it against that team. For example, we have our catcher set up middle out but the pitcher throws a ball up and in off of the ear of the catcher. In this way, the catcher can get to the ball the hitter gets a surprise. We have had pretty good success with our catcher taking a traditional stance straight up and then, shifting as the pitcher begins the windup. In that way, the coach/players have to signal late and the batter often is listening to them and can not react.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Having a parent/coach say to the hitter either "turn on it" or "go with it" just as catcher sets up location. Basically telling hitter where the catcher is setting up. Cheating?

How about picking off signs and coach says hitter's name (lets go Johnny) on off speed or calls out hitter's number (Lets go 9) on fastball. Cheating?

I have a couple of examples of being observant but by no means did I intend to cheat. I scouted a game where we would play the winning team in a tournament looking for weaknesses and tendencies, and after a few innings I was able to decipher the offensive signals of one of the teams. I have also been in games where opposing coaches are calling pitches from the bench with hand signals. After a couple of innings I was able to figure them out. The signals were out there for everyone to see and they happened to be easy to figure out. Did we use them? In the case of the tournament we ended up playing the other team, and the pitch calling team was not competitive so no need. I always observe the other team signals sometimes you learn things from them.

This is why we use the number system for offense and pitch calling. We have 5 sets and change them every game.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
Personally I think parents should cheer and watch. It's not their game and they shouldn't be participating. If the players work something out among themselves, figure out signs, etc., good for them. Parents, no. Shhhh.

Jun 11, 2013
I think parents should never give advice to players during a game unless they are a coach. If a coach who is inside the fence picks it up it's not cheating although the level of play does matter.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I do not see where it provides an advantage. But we have found that having the catcher set up early outside and then coming up and in usually gives pause to such nonsense.

Mar 4, 2016
This is the best answer. It doesn't really matter.

Do you think it doesn't matter at any level or just the younger levels? I would think its very beneficial to know which pitch is coming next around 14u. Under 14 the pitcher probably isn't experienced enough to consistently hit their spots so even if you know the pitch, the chances of the pitcher actually hitting that spot is less likely. Once you get to 16u these pitchers can hit their spots fairly often and knowing where they are throwing would give a huge benefit. Especially picking off change ups. I'm baffled how this wouldn't be considered an advantage. Curious to your response on this. Please advise. Thank you.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
There are so many ways to deal with this and I don't consider this cheating if it is generated by someone in the game. When I find teams doing this, we try to use it against that team. For example, we have our catcher set up middle out but the pitcher throws a ball up and in off of the ear of the catcher. In this way, the catcher can get to the ball the hitter gets a surprise. We have had pretty good success with our catcher taking a traditional stance straight up and then, shifting as the pitcher begins the windup. In that way, the coach/players have to signal late and the batter often is listening to them and can not react.
I think this is the right perspective with the exception that parents should never do it (nor should the do or say anything else to impact what is happening inside the fence other than reasonable, controlled cheering and encouragement).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802