Cheap shade for fence-mount cameras

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2018
Central Indiana
I use a piece of shade fabric. Put a couple holes in to, and can hang it from the fence with bungie straps over the top of the camera. Cheap, easy, and keeps the sun from beating down on the gear.

Sep 18, 2016
I see a lot of people here in Arizona using cooling towels as shades, held up with clothes pins or clips.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
We've been experimenting with rags soaked in icewater, then placed in dry zip top bags. Lay these over the camera and rotate when they no longer feel cool. This blocks much of the sun but also draws heat away (or cools the ambient heat) from the camera.

Aug 6, 2013
I have flat out used freezer gel packs held on with bungees. Now I use an ice pack that has a screw open lid that you can fill with ice. Works perfect to keep my Mevo cool.

Feb 7, 2016
That's genius! I'm tempted to pick those parts up from Amazon to try this out. However ever since I started using shade fabric clipped to the fence, I've had ZERO overheats (in HOT North Carolina summer weather!). Not sure I want to fix what's not broken.

I think using the monitor cover in the picture would help in viewing the gopro screen without glare or reflection.

Nov 21, 2017
Just saw that exact same Amazon setup at this weekend friendlies. Asked the lady where she bought it and she said she made it herself. Thought it was pretty cool and now I know what she used. Going to buy the parts and do it myself as my mevo plus does get hot at times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28