Charging the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Asadler81 -

Welcome to DFP. Enjoy the ride! :)

If what you described is actually a rule, it has to be a "house" rule for the league. If it is actually a rule, it's pretty ridiculous, especially at an age where they have no idea what "charging the ball" even is.

This may be the first time I've ever heard of 4U softball. 6U as the youngest group is WAY more common.

Jun 8, 2016
Asadler81 -

Welcome to DFP. Enjoy the ride! :)

If what you described is actually a rule, it has to be a "house" rule for the league. If it is actually a rule, it's pretty ridiculous, especially at an age where they have no idea what "charging the ball" even is.

This may be the first time I've ever heard of 4U softball. 6U as the youngest group is WAY more common.

They have 4U in Ok too..it is ridiculous if you ask me but nobody is..

Mar 13, 2019
It’s 6u league my daughters birthday is late August so she just made the age. She is the youngest on the team and it’s her first year playing. And it is not a troll post at all. Same coach also argued about batting out of order. Seriously who is tracking that in t ball? I am by no means a fan of participation trophies or the whole not keeping score stuff, but t ball should be about learning the basics and having fun. Sorry for the crappy spelling in my first post. It was late and I was tired from reading through all kinds of rules trying to find something on this.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It’s 6u league my daughters birthday is late August so she just made the age. She is the youngest on the team and it’s her first year playing. And it is not a troll post at all. Same coach also argued about batting out of order. Seriously who is tracking that in t ball? I am by no means a fan of participation trophies or the whole not keeping score stuff, but t ball should be about learning the basics and having fun. Sorry for the crappy spelling in my first post. It was late and I was tired from reading through all kinds of rules trying to find something on this.

Sounds like the commish needs to have a conversation with this coach. You need to research the local rules and try to adhere to them. Rules is Rules. But don't get wrapped around the axle about bad calls either. It doesn't really matter. The only thing that should matter is FroYo after the game!

Jun 13, 2018
I was at that game. We were evaluating an 8 year old rookie umpire. That coach inappropriately intimidated her. Shame on him.

Jan 22, 2011
My DD's rec league doesn't play with a catcher in 6u and there is a rule for safety about no plays being made on the runner between 3rd and home. Everyone bats every inning, last batter is an automatic homerun. They don't keep score. It's all about having fun.

Definitely sounds like the other coach is taking 6u a bit too seriously.

PS- In 6u, my DD kept track of put-outs each team made to figure out who won.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
My DD's rec league doesn't play with a catcher in 6u and there is a rule for safety about no plays being made on the runner between 3rd and home. Everyone bats every inning, last batter is an automatic homerun. They don't keep score. It's all about having fun.

Definitely sounds like the other coach is taking 6u a bit too seriously.

PS- In 6u, my DD kept track of put-outs each team made to figure out who won.
I had an AC in Tball who did that, since everyone batted every inning, and last one got a 'HR", he figured the team with the most outs made "won" (it was only between he and I to try and keep it interesting, did not mention to kids).

and there was no BOO, we switched it up every inning (since everyone batted and stayed on base, what was the point of a BO). Only time I called kids out was on my on team, after warning them (had a couple who were bad about it) I told them if you threw the bat you were out, you cam into dugout, not staying on 1B. cleaned up that problem right quick

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812