Changing teams help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Just be honest and positive. Thank the old coach, wish them luck. If there's any truth to it, say you're available to pick up with them if they ever need a player.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
When I coached that kind of "rec ball tournament type team" and the first parent left for "more competitive", I was still somewhat new to this and it hurt a bit. I had taken that kid literally from ground zero, and she was now good enough to make a pretty good team. It didn't take me long to get past it, and when I see that kid or her dad, they go out of their way to say hello, and a long friendly talk inevitably follows. It doesn't have to be an angry break-up. Thank the coach for getting your kid where she is, and explain that what he's done is allowing her to move up.

Jul 8, 2020
I love this time of year! Changing teams is very normal in the softball world. I was going back and forth with a dad today as there was a welcome announcement for kids joining their program. Very odd that it happened so soon after the last tourney. I have a feeling there might have been some personal invites before official tryouts happen. There was a mass exodus from one program to another with high level kids. We were speculating about which high profile players were ripe for jumping ship. Around here you have the Scrapyard program dissolving into the reemerging Sudden Impact and the Aces Express Merging with the Bombers. Lots of moving parts and lots of kids jockeying for positions. It'll be interesting to see who ends up where when the dust finally settles.
Without orgs dissolving, i'm always curious to understand why high level players leave high level programs. Is the college coaches asking them to change, falling out with the coach, etc.? When the fall season starts and we play I notice the players we've grown up playing against when they are on different orgs/teams.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Without orgs dissolving, i'm always curious to understand why high level players leave high level programs. Is the college coaches asking them to change, falling out with the coach, etc.? When the fall season starts and we play I notice the players we've grown up playing against when they are on different orgs/teams.
I always like to know the "real" reason a player switches team. The parents will tell you one thing, but I don't always believe them unless I know the person well.

Jun 16, 2010

Coach and their relationship with college coaches.....usually high level programs have inroads.

I know college coaches called my daughters 14-18u coaches all the time, said '"I need an xyz". We also participated in scrimages at universities so their coaches could get a look at top players on several regional leading teams , privately.

Also had private workouts with national scouts in attendance, that compile lists of D1 prospects. Even 2 wcws team coaches come watch practice.

Despite what recruiting sites tell you, leading program coaches dont wade thru hundreds......or more... videos and resumes, to select many players, unless have to. Imagine how fruitless and time consuming that is. Word of mouth is #1. Advice of top coaches is #2.

You can be on a decent unknown team, but if no one happens to notice you....good luck. Thats how d3, d2, etc, get really good players that are passed over.

What seperates the best teams in D2, D3 from rest.....is that they have a D1 caliber pitcher.....who was overlooked. Everybody hits, everybody fields. Not everyone throws 61+ mph.

Should probsbly qualify that too. Theres only about 50 real good teams out of all of d1, d2, d3. 35-40 are probably d1. Then a couple good d2/d3. Only probably 10-15 d1 are top level good. And it all starts with pitcher. Its really exactly like travel ball. A few top teams....a bunch of so so. A lot of marginal.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
I always like to know the "real" reason a player switches team. The parents will tell you one thing, but I don't always believe them unless I know the person well.

It's almost always that the player/parent thinks they are too good for the team they are on, or it's playing time related. Parents always say otherwise, but those are the reasons most of the time.

This is assuming the situation is a "like for like" in terms of level of team.

Jul 2, 2013
You've got to do what's right for your daughter and your family. Consider using some of all of the following phrases when communicating your departure to the "old" coach:
  1. This is a better fit for us
  2. Their uniforms are much nicer
  3. They have a better selection of spirit wear
  4. Their Facebook page gets more likes
  5. My daughter doesn't like you, coach
  6. We're sick of carrying this team
  7. Why are we the only ones with a composite bat?
  8. 10U us where the D1 scouts are looking now
  9. Your ____ (insert team color) uniforms clash with DD's complexion
  10. You don't slap, and you don't steal
  11. God told us to switch teams
  12. It's not you, it's me
  13. I'm not ready for this kind of pressure in a relationship
  14. If we're not going to get married, what's the point?
  15. You don't respect me like you should
  16. You stay out to all hours with your friends, and you drink too much
Wait - what were we talking about again?

Out of this whole list, number 7 made me laugh the hardest. In fact, it still does as I type this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802