Changing teams help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2020
Hey guys, my daughter tried out for a new team this year and they ran down my wife before she left the tryout to tell her they want our daughter on the team. She is moving up to 10u, she will be 9 this fall. The organization is top notch and is very competitive and this is what she wants. She will be leaving more of a rec ball tournament type team. I feel like we are going to upset people and the 10u coach. Any advice how to handle this situation because I know people will be upset and want to know why we are leaving.

Feb 20, 2020
We've left and have had people leave, and my experience is they don't care that much. They'll wish you well, but most parents see it as a better chance at playing time for their kids more than anything else. And I've never known anyone to begrudge a family for moving to a higher level of softball.

Shake their hands (or bump elbows), wish them well and move on. It'll be fine.

Jul 29, 2016
You've got to do what's right for your daughter and your family. Consider using some of all of the following phrases when communicating your departure to the "old" coach:
  1. This is a better fit for us
  2. Their uniforms are much nicer
  3. They have a better selection of spirit wear
  4. Their Facebook page gets more likes
  5. My daughter doesn't like you, coach
  6. We're sick of carrying this team
  7. Why are we the only ones with a composite bat?
  8. 10U us where the D1 scouts are looking now
  9. Your ____ (insert team color) uniforms clash with DD's complexion
  10. You don't slap, and you don't steal
  11. God told us to switch teams
  12. It's not you, it's me
  13. I'm not ready for this kind of pressure in a relationship
  14. If we're not going to get married, what's the point?
  15. You don't respect me like you should
  16. You stay out to all hours with your friends, and you drink too much
Wait - what were we talking about again?

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
You've got to do what's right for your daughter and your family. Consider using some of all of the following phrases when communicating your departure to the "old" coach:
  1. This is a better fit for us
  2. Their uniforms are much nicer
  3. They have a better selection of spirit wear
  4. Their Facebook page gets more likes
  5. My daughter doesn't like you, coach
  6. We're sick of carrying this team
  7. Why are we the only ones with a composite bat?
  8. 10U us where the D1 scouts are looking now
  9. Your ____ (insert team color) uniforms clash with DD's complexion
  10. You don't slap, and you don't steal
  11. God told us to switch teams
  12. It's not you, it's me
  13. I'm not ready for this kind of pressure in a relationship
  14. If we're not going to get married, what's the point?
  15. You don't respect me like you should
  16. You stay out to all hours with your friends, and you drink too much
Wait - what were we talking about again?

You forgot the easiest one of all:

“Coach, you know Ive always been a straight shooter so I wont waste our time here. Ive had parents tell me that you believe Epstein killed himself. Well, as a father I just cant let my daughter play for someone who cant accept the truth so its best we part ways now”.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
Hey guys, my daughter tried out for a new team this year and they ran down my wife before she left the tryout to tell her they want our daughter on the team. She is moving up to 10u, she will be 9 this fall. The organization is top notch and is very competitive and this is what she wants. She will be leaving more of a rec ball tournament type team. I feel like we are going to upset people and the 10u coach. Any advice how to handle this situation because I know people will be upset and want to know why we are leaving.
Keep it simple, and don't burn bridges. Just say that you appreciate all she has learned and the time you have spent there but decided it was time to try something new. Some will be angry, some won't care, some will make up their own reasons as to why you left. Don't sweat any of it. Leave on good terms with as little explanation as is reasonable.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
We received an offer and we as a family discussed it and have decided to accept. Thank you for all you have done for (insert daughters name). We will always consider you a huge part of our softball family and look forward to see you guys around at tournaments. Thank You!!!

Apr 28, 2014
Congratulations to your DD. Honesty is the best policy. The other team has more to offer at this very point. That's all, keep it simple. Never burn a bridge, you know that!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I love this time of year! Changing teams is very normal in the softball world. I was going back and forth with a dad today as there was a welcome announcement for kids joining their program. Very odd that it happened so soon after the last tourney. I have a feeling there might have been some personal invites before official tryouts happen. There was a mass exodus from one program to another with high level kids. We were speculating about which high profile players were ripe for jumping ship. Around here you have the Scrapyard program dissolving into the reemerging Sudden Impact and the Aces Express Merging with the Bombers. Lots of moving parts and lots of kids jockeying for positions. It'll be interesting to see who ends up where when the dust finally settles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802