Changing pitching styles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
From what I can see she is darn close to IR. I’ve read some other comment and I’m not convinced she is HE. Why you ask. She has the ball at 3 rd base at 12 o’clock down to about 7. That’s a big deal. Also , she does turn her palm over after release. That’s IR. So she is there.
What next. Yes her arm is poker straight. You will need bend to creat the brush contact. Also attempt to go palm more up at the back of the circle. Get that chest up and release the ball by the hip vs out in front. Those little changes will increase velocity by a few or more mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 11, 2020
Thanks Dr. we have really been working on staying open and keeping palm up. When in the game she straightened her arm and kept closing-started aiming

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks Dr. we have really been working on staying open and keeping palm up. When in the game she straightened her arm and kept closing-started aiming

It will happen. Game and practice can be very different. It’s not abnormal in the beginning.

Apr 20, 2017
I’m not as knowledgeable as many on here but have done a lot of reading and research as my daughter has been on her pitching journey. One thing I see so many times is how accurate and how many strikes a kid throws. And while that is the overall goal there is a big question to ask yourself and daughter. Do you want to be great at 12u or be great at 18? I see so many kids that pitch slow and accurately at young ages and think that is the greatest thing. Then a few years later they are still doing the same thing and as the batters get better they are no longer effective. For some kids this is great and it gives 10u teams good chance of winning and not all kids have the physical mental traits to make it long term. But if the long range is the goal then adjust your thinking about development. We switched to Tincher about a year ago and for several months it was struggle. Missing spots, free bases on walks and other issues. We had a great coach that understood the transition and willingness to help in any way possible. We stayed focused on the mechanics and did not worry as much about her spots. When she pitched in game she would only pitch one or two innings at a time. If the old mechanics started creeping in then she was pulled. This all happened after joining her first national A class team. And trust me it was so hard to not just go back to what she had always done to be successful. But we trusted the process because we believed in the long range goals. After last fall season we took a 30 day arm rest period and then started over from the basics. Now a year later her speed is up 5 mph. Her spots are great and can pound the strike zone. She can go 7 innings and never see any old mechanics. She was taught for the first few years by former college pitcher and was taught the HE like most instructors but her body naturally started doing IR. That instructor helped with IR but never used any terms or any of the drills you will see here. So I understand your situation completely. Good luck to your daughter on her pitching journey.

Feb 11, 2020
I can’t tell you how much I appreciate that post! She has another tournament this wkend and I’m nervous!!!”trust the mechanics!” This transition was harder than I thought it would be...

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Man the biggest problem we are having is keeping palm up! She is so use to have the palm down on back swing. Any suggestions? In slow motion she does fine with a little twist of the hand but when she speeds up goes back to old ways...

If she's bought into the goal, teach her to be aware of the good and the bad. The goal is for her to say good/bad before you can. Use video constantly to double check. Advance progressively with distance, motion and effort. Only advance to the point of break down, try a few adjustments and if she can't adjust, back down in distance or motion. She can also try some dry throws or close the eyes. No more than 2-3 bad reps before making an adjustment.

Nov 8, 2018
Man the biggest problem we are having is keeping palm up! She is so use to have the palm down on back swing. Any suggestions? In slow motion she does fine with a little twist of the hand but when she speeds up goes back to old ways...

Yes. Do a shirt ton of 9, 12, and 3 o’clock backchaining drills. Over and over and over. Then progress to SLOW full arm circle concentrate on palm out at show it and palm up at 9-10.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee