Changing pitching styles

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The good: her pre-motion and drive are a solid foundation.
The Work: she is definitely HE on the backside of the circle and at release. Arm is locked out and palm is down. This causes her to push the ball and hang on to it too long. Her front side resistance needs work also. Needs to stay way taller at release. Could be HE symptoms also.
Start doing this slowly (can mimic the motion without throwing the ball). Don’t allow her shoulders to move (very important). Once she looks good doing this add slow arm circle. Once she can do that do slow arm circles with a small stride and drag.
One simple que I’ve used with HE pitchers is to simply throw through their body, not around it. HE are taught to slam the door at release. I’ve seen HE pitchers fix this and begin throwing with more IR. Hope this makes sense! Start now!

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
The change is made a lot simpler if she:
  • turns the ball and her throwing hand to 3rd base line before they reaches top of her head (prevents locking the elbow)
  • glove goes out with the palm down (prevents that arm from flying out away from the body and the front shoulder pointed to the target)

Mike-Coach-Q posted these of his grand daughter helping another youngster out.

- Snaps
- 9 oclock drill

Attachments

• Uenoarmcircle.png
    Uenoarmcircle.png
    131 KB · Views: 39
Oct 4, 2018
We went from HE to IR (Tincher) last year. Took about 3 weeks.

Do it, get it over with.

Work the IR basic drills a lot, some days not even doing full pitch. In a few weeks her fastball will be more accurate and the same speed as it is today. And then it will slowly increase.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
We went from HE to IR (Tincher) last year. Took about 3 weeks.

Do it, get it over with.

Work the IR basic drills a lot, some days not even doing full pitch. In a few weeks her fastball will be more accurate and the same speed as it is today. And then it will slowly increase.
Would you be kind enough to post a video?

Feb 11, 2020
Ha!!! Btw we have to do the virtual lessons so not sure how this will work. I like this coach in Orlando but he didn’t promise 3 weeks! Sounded a bit longer! My DD like to turn her shoulders and power the ball...

Oct 26, 2019
I will second what everyone is saying here (not that you needed it). When me and my DD started out she was 8. She was a clean slate, so we had that advantage. We worked Boardmembers drills and watched Java’s videos and they were immensely helpful. For about 3 months of IR work, my DD was throwing everything consistently inside. I thought we were doing something wrong, but read here that throwing inside can be a normal progression of IR throwing. Now she is much more consistent and I am so glad we found DFP.

Someone here posted Something along these lines when we started our journey - “the best time for your DD to start IR was a few years ago, the next best time is now.”.

Feb 11, 2020
For what it’s worth the new Tincher coach thinks it may only take a few weeks transitioning her over to the new style if she works hard. Not sure if he is accounting for “virtual” lessons! Anyway 2nd lesson today...

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Don't know much about Tincher pitching but from the videos, I love how they have the kids throwing into tarps a short distance away. Had a group of 1st year pitchers and they really attacked the whip of the forearm seeing who could make the loudest pop when the ball hit the tarp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812