Changeup Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I am a Mets fan and watch 4-5 games a week. Whenever I watch MLB I marvel at the effectiveness of the changeup. In softball the changeup does not seem as effective. Maybe that's just a subjective judgement and has no basis in fact and I'm open to other opinions. One thing is clear when comparing the MLB changeup to what I see in softball, there is a significant difference in velocity when compared to a fastball. A quick foray on Baseball Savant shows that changeups are used roughly 20% of the time but that varies significantly from 5% to 30% pitcher by pitcher. The velocity difference is a lot more consistent, it is roughly 10mph or about 10-15% less than the fastball. In softball changeups are usually about 15-20mph slower, or 20-30% less than a fastball. My numbers are quick generalizations and there might be some hard research that will prove them wrong. But if they do hold up the question is does the velocity difference in softball make the pitch less effective or more vulnerable to getting hit hard. Does the velocity difference make it easier to detect so that hitters are not fooled by it?

Jan 6, 2018
I’d argue it’s the poly core ball and composite bat. (Nod to @Hillhouse) My DD has a lovely change up, but she just had a 4 hitter go opposite field on one for a bomb because all it takes is a flick of the wrists to launch that thing a whopping 210 feet on a hot summer day. Not as easy with a thirty something ounce piece of lumber and a 400 foot fence? Just a theory…either pitcher still can’t hang it LOL!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Armwhip

In fastpitch we rely on swing quickness. Compared to max batspeed.

ML hitters are trying to hit HR’s, therefor they are fooled more often.

In state I saw a girl with bat drag and a contact point out front. She pull the ball almost into her dugout through the doorway. I called the change and she just waved at it, nice change, it was down.

Feb 24, 2021
I would have to say from my perspective that the CU is a very effective pitch in FP. I've watched our pitcher freeze some very good hitters at the 10U level with it. But i also think once you get past 10U and working through 12U you absolutely need more than a FB and CU to be successful. Just my 2 cents....

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
A CU has to be significantly slower than FB. DD throws a pretty sick CU that has the potential to lock a hitter up. To echo Wildfire, calling it at the right time is important. What makes the CU so frustrating for coaches is often times if the pitcher is way ahead in the count....everyone knows the CU is coming... and it still works. To the OP's original point about velocity difference not fooling batters; the CU only works if pitcher sells it by not changing anything during delivery.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
IMO, 3 major reasons:
1 - Pitchers don't know how to throw it because it's not the "super cool" pitch. It takes work to get right and do it well.
2 - Coaches don't know when to call it. If you only/always call a changeup with 2 strikes, it's gonna get crushed.
3 - STOP teaching beginning pitchers the flip. It is a great pitch for the pitcher who can throw it and is experienced enough to be able to locate without a reference for release, but it is extremely hard for a beginner to learn and there are easier changeups to start with. At 10U I would rather you just tell a beginner to push the ball deep into her palm and throw with palm down. Quick and dirty, but it works.

If you have chance for your DD to learn the Pauly changeup, do it. Practiced with a potential new team last night, and the coach who handles pitchers told me he "loved" DD's CU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802