Changeup Location

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
This is how DD’s change is. It’s right down the middle but takes a nose dive right before the plate.

Problem being she hasn’t mastered it. So many times it’s in the dirt early. But when it works…it’s a thing of beauty. Work in progress.

The main thing is deception. Let it read fastball/drop ball until it’s not.
When it’s in the dirt at least you don’t get hurt on it like you would if you left it up.

Jul 22, 2015
Throwing a high change in the same tunnel as a rise is a great idea, but its use will be limited, esp in 18U and college. Because once they’re aware of it, great hitters will look for that pitch and crush it.

Better, safer to keep the change down and away.
You would think so, but where I have seen it work is high-level 18u and college. I still think it is very limited to certain pitchers and I wouldn't be the one to teach it.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
I know what you're thinking, "Great, another changeup thread". Since the other one kind of went off the rails I thought would take it in another direction.

A team that I am helping to coach played it's first tournament today, 18U open. I saw some effective changeups that have made me question my thinking on location.

If you had a pitcher with a decent fastball and changeup that she could locate where would you like to her throw that pitch?

ArmWhip,

Anywhere she can get a strike … which is always dependant on the batter’s ability and/or momentum. Typically, the margins of inner, outer and lower zone.

Use the change as a multi-dimensional tool. You can use it a strike, a waste pitch, a setup. etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802