Changeup Location

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I know what you're thinking, "Great, another changeup thread". Since the other one kind of went off the rails I thought would take it in another direction.

A team that I am helping to coach played it's first tournament today, 18U open. I saw some effective changeups that have made me question my thinking on location.

If you had a pitcher with a decent fastball and changeup that she could locate where would you like to her throw that pitch?

Jun 3, 2021
Down and away or down and inside

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes. Same for baseball. You may get away with off speed high in the zone a timer two but it is going to bite you in the rear end over the long run big time!

Way too easy to sit throw hands and let the bat do work. Very curious about other thoughts.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
in/out
Scrape bottom of zone
And throw it purposly to go in the dirt.
Yes the dirt is a location!

The Dirt, at times, should be a location for drops also.

(Can throw either change or drop to hit the dirt
Shallow or deep, & even befor the plate also.)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
I know what you're thinking, "Great, another changeup thread". Since the other one kind of went off the rails I thought would take it in another direction.

A team that I am helping to coach played it's first tournament today, 18U open. I saw some effective changeups that have made me question my thinking on location.

If you had a pitcher with a decent fastball and changeup that she could locate where would you like to her throw that pitch?
Generally down and away is the safest spot and is usually very effective. I do love calling an inside changeup first pitch or early in the count though. If the pitcher spins it well and doesn't have any tells to give it away, inside can be a great location to get ahead. It's just tough to hit that pitch in fair territory. Sometimes it will result in impressive foul balls, but they're just long strikes. If you feel really brave, I've seen some rise ball pitchers use a higher changeup with great results but those are dangerous.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
some rise ball pitchers use a higher changeup with great results but those are dangerous.
High change... have seen more pitchers have to jump, duck, dodge, cringe and defend themselves when high change cruises in :)

Now Thinking more about that,
throwing a change up high.

Was NEVER a chosen location.
Dont know any pitcher who did that intentionally.
*Thats not to say no-one would.

Jul 22, 2015
High change... have seen more pitchers have to jump, duck, dodge, cringe and defend themselves when high change cruises in :)

Now Thinking more about that,
throwing a change up high.

Was NEVER a chosen location.
Dont know any pitcher who did that intentionally.
*Thats not to say no-one would.
I've seen it done VERY effectively by a couple of girls with really good rise balls. Those changeups at the top of the zone were almost never even swung at because batters gave up on them. But, they would scare me to death if I was the one throwing them! I don't think I'd ever coach someone to do it on purpose.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
...to where-ever this chat is leading... :)
Have seen mistakes work well.

But i never had a signal for them ;) ha lol

As for rise or change?
Me, would rather swing at the rise. Change ups are a bigger adjustment because of timing.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Wouldn't you generally throw it wherever the fastball goes? You're trying to fool the hitter.

Always throwing it down and away is stupid.

Throw it where you threw your last fastball. (not 'always' of course :))

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Last week at 18u idt, in one game, a player only got one appearence at bat.
The pitcher threw a meaty change up.
👉HR left field fence.
Batter treated it like a soft toss shot.

imo
Throw it. Thinks its good to.
AT a certain level tho
location is REALLY important!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802