Change

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2015
My DD throws a change up very similar to the one in the fist video. To to get the hand orientated properly and to to kill the IR you have to change the arm orientation early at 900 or even sooner from palm third/up to palm down. Its similar to the horseshoe change up but there is the added difficulty of mastering the timing of the arm and the rolling of the ball off the other 3 fingers to control the trajectory and get the perfect 12/6 drop spin. One cool feature is the faster you move your arm the ball doesn't really pick up more speed it produces more drop spin.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Just to share as notable feedback
Have had the fantastic opportunity to catch for many Elite pitchers whom pitched in...
Olympics
lnternationally
Nationals
College World Series

And multiple Top 10 in the Nation D1 programs.

There was/is not one specific style or mechanics or grip that works best for everyone.

Most all had utilized different grips and approaches and trained with these all the time.
( they each had more than one change in the tool box)

While i could speak to distinct differences their pitching instructors taught. And the several variances in each change up taught,

The most impactful thing each pitcher did and spoke of
Was this
Control Location
Control Location
Control Location

If the grip is awkward and allows ball to do undesired things comming out of the hand , inconsistancy
it will compremise the integrity of the pitch. Pretty obvious,
Definetly important.

The pitchers i have the experience and privilege to know,
Would show and talk of what they did amongst eachother.
And commonly the other pitcher would say....
" i throw it this way"
Which was different.

Sharing this TO encourage pitchers find what works best for YOU.
No one size fits all on this.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
My DD throws the back door change and it is nasty because of movement but a little to hard. Trying different things to get speed- choke the ball, crook in the arm, lift the energy out of it, push your elbow forward more, and get your fingers on the side of the ball.

Other kid throws the push horse shoe change and at times to hard but easier for her to get speed of of it.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Are you looking for it to be a strike out pitch or to get a hop hop shortstop for a double play?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
You might try playing with the angle of the wrist. Add a little ulnar deviation when she comes down the back side into release. Ulnar deviation is how your wrist bends when you make a 'gun' with your hand.

Jan 28, 2017
You might try playing with the angle of the wrist. Add a little ulnar deviation when she comes down the back side into release. Ulnar deviation is how your wrist bends when you make a 'gun' with your hand.

Can you explain this a little? Slow today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee