Change

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
What do you use to help take speed off the change? Looking for new cues to help a few kids.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Had 12 youngsters 8 & 9 YO first time pitching that were all able to do this at least to some degree. I'm a newbie like the students so hope it helps some.

- The Best Change Up in Softball

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Whatever change up is being thrown.
Controling it is most critical!!!
Remember spin can = deception.

Enjoy

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
One of my favorites. Had my DD try to emulate. Could never get around to turning the back of palm to catcher. Some call it the Flip Change, but never is really flipped with reverse sping, more curve spin. Worked on the lock it in drill to get the feel. Took slow motion video of that and still just could not get the feel for it. I was still convinced that it is the best change up.

Was also at a Rick Pauly clinic and he taught trying to turn the hand over earlier, but still getting the same final effect. I think there are Sarah videos out there as well that show it.

When my DD finally found it, we had her instead of feeling bent arm loose and whippy, feel more of the arm straightening over head which allowed an easier way to start the motion of turning the palm to catcher. If the arm was bent there was too much pressure that she couldn't turn the back of the hand out and was always stuck with more whip and speed.

Not sure i explained that very well, but think Ueno's changer is one to look at.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
BigSky, at :40 sec of this video, do you believe what he is stating is true? I only ask as i am not sure this individual is a good reference.
Nice catch. No, I don't agree with most of what he or other pitching coaches say unless there are multiple saying the same thing. Only thing I got out of this was the grip and tried it with the kids to see if they could throw it with the same arm action as their fastball.

Last edited:
my DD drives straight over her toe and really digs in with her toe like an anchor. the pitch usually follows the direction of her hips so if dragging hard opens her hips ball inside. She has to focus on her hip direction While anchoring the toe. The harder she drags the slower the pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478