Change up help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

I need to film DD's changeup as we've had bit of a breakthrough in recent weeks. But her grip is VERY similar to your video. It seems to dive down, but I've not closely paid attention to rotation. We've been more focused on eliminating whip and finding a consistent release point. Seems we've finally found how achieve both. And how we got there is in alignment to your video and above post.

The "throwing a cup of water" cue really helps her. For both over rotating (locking the wrist) and release/thumb brush. Her hand/arm continues to roll over after release so it appears similar to her fastball/dropball follow through.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The video above shows a slightly different change than the one I described. In the video, the ball comes off of the pinky and ring finger last, imparting top spin.

Jan 28, 2017
Anyone familiar with fingers down, tight to body, start turning the ball at your back hip, release at front hip with ball coming off the pinky last, and elbow pointed towards 3rd?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
One of my students had a breakthrough with the change today. We practice release up close before moving back. Backward chaining the release. Before she wasn’t really taking speed off the ball. Today she was throwing it on average 9 mph slower. She was also throwing it for strikes. Her motion and arm speed was also great.

Shot story is to keep working on it.

Nov 18, 2015
That clip also seems to show that Ueno isn’t palm down at 9:00, more like facing 3b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
That clip also seems to show that Ueno isn’t palm down at 9:00, more like facing 3b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, that is what I was trying to say when I mentioned turning the hand over to soon.

I don’t agree with creating a new arm action to throw a change up. Or a new hand orientation to early to be more specific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee