Change up help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
My dd is having trouble with learning the change up Pauley teaches, her biggest problem right now is she still is whipping the ball. She’s turning her hand to late, between 7 and 5 o’clock, instead is starting the turn much earlier. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help her get her hand on the outside of the ball earlier?

Feb 15, 2017
“Lead with the knuckles”

Or “spin the knuckles in front of the ball”

Both of those seemed to really help DD take the speed off. When she isn’t focused on this her differential is 10-11mph. When she is concentrated on those cues the difference is 14-15. Oh...and of course better spin so more drop movement.

Jan 14, 2020
key words/cues for my DD is Tony Stark (knuckles up, almost pushing the palm) and splash the water (thumb up in the same motion as throwing a glass of water at someone)

Jul 31, 2015
FWIW, my DD went through about 3-4 different changeups (flip, circle, palm, and some really weird thing Balswick taught her that resembled a rise ball release) before she found the one that felt comfortable. If your DD continues to struggle, maybe try a different style - ?

Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
FWIW, my DD went through about 3-4 different changeups (flip, circle, palm, and some really weird Balswick taught her that resembled a rise ball release) before she found the one that felt comfortable. If your DD continues to struggle, maybe try a different style - ?

Just a suggestion.

This will be her 4th probably, we started with flip, then horse shoe, then circle and now this one. She’s had the same problem with all of them, and that is getting rid of the whip to take speed off.

Nov 18, 2015
What I still struggle with is that we spend the first few years of pitching stressing the importance of whip, and ball up at 9:00, but then tell them to use a different motion for the very next pitch they learn.

I’m a firm believer in making every pitch look the same. We’ve had success with the horseshoe change (I’m assuming this is the Rick Pauly version you’re referring to). We try to keep the same motion, but use the “paralyzed fingers” to cut down on the speed. She may pronate earlier to get more of a tumbling / drop on the pitch, but I don’t think that’s from any conscious movement she’s making on the backside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
You said that she is turning her hand too late, so I have to ask, is she turning her hand at all? One way to help a pitcher turn her hand is to ask her to throw curveball spin by coming around the outside of the ball prior to release, and make sure that the side of the pinky finger is the last thing to have contact with the ball. If she throws topspin when trying to throw the change she isn't turning her hand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45