Change up for smaller hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
Maybe its just me but I like a change-up that has lots of spin to it for both movement and deception. When learning a new pitch like a c/u, think long-term about whether or not it will be effective 2 or 3 years from now. IME, it takes a lot of practice to "master" the c/u. First, practice throwing it into a bucket at close range and move the bucket back after she can consistently make it until she gets to the correct pitching distance. Make sure you work on this pitch as much as her other pitches. Another key to the c/u is to make sure her mechanics stay the same as her other pitches. This weekend, one of the pitchers I watched, really slowed down her arm circle to take speed off the pitch, which is a huge "tell" and no-no when throwing the c/u. Always throw the c/u as hard as her other pitches, the grip and technique will take the speed off the pitch.

I totally concur that it is best for a CU to have spin for deception and movement! My DD can make her Horseshoe CU float and spin off the outside corner of the plate.

Feb 7, 2013
I totally concur that it is best for a CU to have spin for deception and movement! My DD can make her Horseshoe CU float and spin off the outside corner of the plate.

My DD tried the horseshoe change but never liked it. Her c/u is the flip, but she throws it with a lot of side spin (20rps per RevFire) so it move down and away from a RHB. Very effective, but will be interesting to see if she can achieve the same success with it as she moves up to 14U (and 43feet) in the fall. She has experimented with the knuckle c/u which is a cool pitch, with but has little spin to it. Maybe she will throw that in the mix next year?

To the OP, don't be afraid to experiment in the games with the c/u (or any pitch). It's all part of the learning process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee