Change up for smaller hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2014
My DD is struggling trying to find a change up that she can throw consistently. She's tried the "backdoor" change (where it comes out the back of the hand). But, she ends up gripping it with her fingers and releasing it before it comes out the back....tried the flip change. She throws that over the place. So, she won't try it in a game.

I'm lost with what to try next.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Don't over complicate it.

Assuming she has a fastball ala IR ..... rather than have the hand "inside the ball" at approximately 7-o'clock (palm pointed towards 3B for a RH pitcher), have the hand "outside the ball" (palm pointed towards 1B for a RH pitcher). The pitch will be identical up to 12-o'clock. From 12-o'clock onwards she's 'de-sequencing'.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The pitch described by FFS is what I teach....I call it the hand shake. Because as the ball is passing the hips, it looks as though your reaching out to shake someone's hand. It's imperative that the motion of the arm is fast and aggressive, and should be a touch faster than the hard stuff. All your doing is removing the IR. Most girls will be able to throw this one for strikes on the first lesson.

Jun 26, 2010
DD has tried various change ups while learning to pitch and found success with the handshake or horseshoe as described above. There is another thread on the board with the same title that goes into more detail on how to throw it.

Jun 7, 2015
Tried a two-knuckle change? That was my bread and butter. Have her use 4-seam FB grip with index and middle finger knuckles on the top of the C. When she gets to her release point, stick the pitch as my PC called it... Abruptly stop the hand and let the ball float out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2013
I totally concur with the Horseshoe change. Right before my daughter started playing 10U A it was suggested that she learn a CU. A DI pitching recommended the Horseshoe change. So, within 1-2 months she had it locked and loaded and devastated hitters all year. She still throws it and is still getting hitters out. Her success caused my older DD to abandon the flip change and convert to the Horseshoe. Now they are both successful with it.

I don't see it has just a CU for small hands, although that is true. I see it as a relatively easy CU to learn to be very effective with.

May 12, 2014
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it. Here's an issue I noticed with DD trying to throw a pitch that doesn't require IR....she struggles not to do it. Which is a good problem I guess. Haha. But, we'll surely practice the horseshoe.

Feb 7, 2013
Maybe its just me but I like a change-up that has lots of spin to it for both movement and deception. When learning a new pitch like a c/u, think long-term about whether or not it will be effective 2 or 3 years from now. IME, it takes a lot of practice to "master" the c/u. First, practice throwing it into a bucket at close range and move the bucket back after she can consistently make it until she gets to the correct pitching distance. Make sure you work on this pitch as much as her other pitches. Another key to the c/u is to make sure her mechanics stay the same as her other pitches. This weekend, one of the pitchers I watched, really slowed down her arm circle to take speed off the pitch, which is a huge "tell" and no-no when throwing the c/u. Always throw the c/u as hard as her other pitches, the grip and technique will take the speed off the pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101