CF(X?) -11 vs CF(8) Slapper for Righty

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2018
So, DD will be 14, 5'6" 120. Relatively inexperienced player, rec league/school ball just starting B "select"

Not power hitter, hardest hit ball maybe rolled to warning track on high school field.

Been using an Easton 32/20 AW=21. Picked up a dirt cheap Easton Flex 32/21 AW=22 that seems to swing a bit heavy. Figured this would be at least good BP bat so not to destroy higher price gamer.

Was considering a CFX 32/21 or any CF 32/21, thinking lightish swing with better pop than a -12 mid level easton. Can't really find any great deals so looking at $250ish.

Read up on the slappers as these are usually $170ish. Light swinging drop 10s, not for power hitters and marketed to lefty slappers obviously. Another catch, I've found an old NIW CF8 32/22 slapper for a mere $100 from local retailer.

Am I crazy thinking that slapper might be good for her especially considering price?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Seems like you'd be able to find a decent -11 relatively easily. Look for Coresoftball (member) on here and see what he may have up his sleeve... If you decide to go the slapper route that CF8 would be a decent price.

Oct 21, 2016
My DD has a slapper in her bag and she is a right handed hitter with speed. Her and her coach love the extra barrel length on the slappers. Even some of the power hitters on DD 16A team use the CF9 slapper and I've seen many Home runs hit with it. The 32/22 might be a bit heavy for your daughter though. I would go 31/21 or 32/21 so she doesn't lose bat speed. It's really all personal preference. Once you get into the high end bats I don't think there is a huge difference, so go with what gives her confidence when she swings.

Oct 5, 2018
Thanks for info. Good to hear some real world results using the slappers. Most of what I could find was speculation. I'm still tempted at $100 to give that a try, its only available in a 32 and I don't want her to drop down to a 31, at 5'6 5'7. I have found a CF9 for 32/21 for $225 online, cheaper than I can find the CFX right now so may end up going that route. She likes the colors on the CF9 better, thats important of course.

Apr 26, 2015
My daughter is 14 5’4” ish and about 100 lbs. She is a lefty and bunts, slaps and hits. She has been using a slapper for about 3 years now and has been very effective with it. She really liked how the slapper was weighted back towards her hands - for a while she did a lot of bunting and she felt that she was better able to control the ball. I think has been a good option for her. She can hit to the fence now (not over yet, but has hit the fence on multiple occasions). The other day she borrowed her friends Xeno and was crushing the ball. It came off the bat so much faster than it comes off her slapper. (Or maybe it just seems that way with the noise the Xeno makes. Ha!) I think she has gained strength over the past couple months of HS ball and her mechanics are better as well. She still loves her slapper but I do think we are ready to revisit an LXT or XENO (what she used prior to her slapper).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 26, 2018
Thanks for info. Good to hear some real world results using the slappers. Most of what I could find was speculation. I'm still tempted at $100 to give that a try, its only available in a 32 and I don't want her to drop down to a 31, at 5'6 5'7. I have found a CF9 for 32/21 for $225 online, cheaper than I can find the CFX right now so may end up going that route. She likes the colors on the CF9 better, thats important of course.

Haha, the colors add an extra 10-20 ft to their hits!! I think you may be ok with how light the slappers swing, especially for $100. If it doesn't work out, you're not out a ton of money.

Jun 15, 2016
My DD (very small 12) is having great success with the 31" CF8 slapper. Seems to get it around much better than the Ghost 31"/-10 and CF9 Balanced (31"/-10). I'm sure some of it is mental, but the slapper does seem to swing much lighter than the others.

BTW I was looking on ebay for CF8s and people have them listed as very rare very hot and selling for only $849.00. If you are considering one of those let me know i can offer a CF8 that is much hotter and rarer for only $839.99??

Feb 26, 2018
The bay prices for CF8's are absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who spends that kind of money on one deserves to get ripped off.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Because of your post I looked on eBay, some people are delusional. $350 for a used cf8, no return. Good luck to them.

OP, hitting to fence at 14 is good. Do not sell DD short, especially if she is not facing fast pitchers. She has to provide all her own power, it is a pock.

At her age I would try to get her to a -10, it does make a difference IMO.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Again, the slapper bat will get less pop than others...but they def will swing lighter as its made to be more of the weight towards your hands.

BUT, some girls like the feeling and have done well with it, its kind of a "to each their own" thing. If it works for you, its a bonus because they go for dirt cheap because sales
were dreadful for it for the few years it was out.

I wouldn't swing one unless I was a lefty slapper with little pop anyway. If I was a righty, I would def rather swing a regular drop 11 or 10...not the slapper.
Now, before people come on and say, I have seen homers with a slapper or my dd has hit homers with one...yes, that's fine. But the bat
will not provide the drive other drop 10's will. Demarini even stated this was more of a gapper bat when it was introduced.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802