CATCHING~So you are an instructor, tell us what you do when...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thought this is good conversation to share in the catching forum so I copied it and brought it here.

Screenshot_20221118-051510_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221118-051519_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Brings me to share this training workout again for catchers to work on our explosive range and ability to control the ball and transition into
Throwing Runners Out!
💥ZAP💥

*Particularly within this video is an example of how to drop to our knees while
*staying in an athletic posture from the knees up
*that helps keep our muscles engaged.
(Not squishing our tushy down onto our heels and torso not collapsing into a squishy non-athletic position)
Catchers can stay being a wall behind the ball while still keeping our muscles engaged for the next play that needs to happen! In this position can be used to block or field dirt pitches.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
interesting post.....DD2 is at a 1.81 (high school JR)......she just started lifting last winter, will be interested to see if just weight training/increase in strength will have any effect on that time (assuming her mechanics don't slow down.....all other things being equal, will an increase in strength alone have an effect (her mechanics are pretty quick on transfer/release, especially considering she's mostly self taught/taught by me)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
interesting post.....DD2 is at a 1.81 (high school JR)......she just started lifting last winter, will be interested to see if just weight training/increase in strength will have any effect on that time (assuming her mechanics don't slow down.....all other things being equal, will an increase in strength alone have an effect (her mechanics are pretty quick on transfer/release, especially considering she's mostly self taught/taught by me)
Good for her for taking initiative on her training!
Muscles are very important!
Stronger muscles are a good thing!

In a comparison conversation I share this~ it is similar to the answer you're looking for~ weight strength related.

When hitters mechanics and timing are solid and they ask what else can I do to improve? Asking because they want to increase the impact power/ distance of their productivity.
I say do push-ups.
*Build body strength.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Rad, I think the above is over complicating it.. I believe the question was simply, (paraphrasing), "what do you do with a long arm action on throwdowns to 2B"

There is only on thing to do, repetitive training for releasing the ball quicker, and do not focus on throwing velocity. Simply, catch the ball and get rid of it immediately. Sacrifice everything to get the ball out of the glove and on its way to 2B.

At the beginning, the throws will drop in velo and but their body will adapt to the new release and velo will be right back where it used to be. Truly a one step back to get 2 steps forward.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Rad, I think the above is over complicating it.. I believe the question was simply, (paraphrasing), "what do you do with a long arm action on throwdowns to 2B"

There is only on thing to do, repetitive training for releasing the ball quicker, and do not focus on throwing velocity. Simply, catch the ball and get rid of it immediately. Sacrifice everything to get the ball out of the glove and on its way to 2B.
Agree with repetition and agree with get rid of the ball quicker. Nice simplified answer,
but that does not go into the other important factors within it.
For that reason explained details including the entire body throwing mechanic.
( appreciate that reply @erniekru, opportunities like this to share more on important topics!)

Catching and releasing the ball quicker is not just the arm. It is inclusive of what the body is doing that is why like detail.

For the hypothetical question,
(No video)
With a catcher with long arm
(eg throws like an outfielder)
Definitely would include thinking what their 'body' is doing 'with' the arm action. Not just thinking arm. Because outfielders can also tend to stretch torso longer in their throwing mechanic as well longer arm.
(could say longer time to pivot-rotate-release)

Rather than the quick pivot release we see in the infield and especially want behind the plate.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This discussion reminds me of when coach says, I've got a catcher who throws really hard.
But they're baffled how come Runners are stealing bases on them.
Then times the catcher and see's that the pop time is taking too long.
ZAP Pop time is not just throwing speed...

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I think it falls to the catcher to be aware of their own metrics.. Pop time is really important: If they are trying their hardest but still have a slow pop time then it comes down to the exchange time. Just to provide an example, I've included DD's last mid-inning throwdown from this past weekend in FL. Its a very casual effort, but I think it can be useful to see what types of numbers for exchange time (.844sec) and pop time (1.862sec). Knowing the approximate length of the throw and flight time (pop - exchange) gives an average velocity of 56mph. It's a simple as that, work towards these times and speed and they'll be in the 1.8-1.9sec range.

When I was helping my DD when she was younger, I definitely did video analysis to see what needed to be improved on to get where she needed to be which as @RADcatcher had alluded to was less than 2.0.

Oct 26, 2019
I think it falls to the catcher to be aware of their own metrics.. Pop time is really important: If they are trying their hardest but still have a slow pop time then it comes down to the exchange time. Just to provide an example, I've included DD's last mid-inning throwdown from this past weekend in FL. Its a very casual effort, but I think it can be useful to see what types of numbers for exchange time (.844sec) and pop time (1.862sec). Knowing the approximate length of the throw and flight time (pop - exchange) gives an average velocity of 56mph. It's a simple as that, work towards these times and speed and they'll be in the 1.8-1.9sec range.

When I was helping my DD when she was younger, I definitely did video analysis to see what needed to be improved on to get where she needed to be which as @RADcatcher had alluded to was less than 2.0.

This is great advice. 55% of the pop time @erniekru’s math shows is ball flight. Once the transfer gets pretty good the best way to lower pop time is with throwing velocity. Also - pop time is going to be slower in the game and many don’t factor that in to their training.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812