Catching lessons from a baseball coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2019
DD is starting 14u and seems to have taken an interest in catching. Since I don’t know what I’m doing I’d figure I’d start her off with a couple lessons. Nearest softball instructors specializing in catching that I can find are almost an hour away, but baseball catching instructors are minutes away. Do you think baseball coaches would get the job done?

May 6, 2015
DD has always taken her lessons from a softball coach, but I think for someone just starting, a baseball catching coach would do just fine. basics are pretty much going to be the same.

there will be some nuances in the finer points, but if she is just getting started, these are a little further out, and she may be able to work with her team coaches on these (differences in how different balls and different pitches react on the bounce, maybe some bunt coverage issues due to longer basepaths, etc.)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD is starting 14u and seems to have taken an interest in catching. Since I don’t know what I’m doing I’d figure I’d start her off with a couple lessons. Nearest softball instructors specializing in catching that I can find are almost an hour away, but baseball catching instructors are minutes away. Do you think baseball coaches would get the job done?
imo
More important is have you already researched phylosophies and mechanics?!
As there are a range of both.

Have you viewed the different styles, video, training tips,
discussion threads on dfp or other resources?

Educating yourself can give neccessary information to help understand options and plan goals to reach.

Starts with creating a foundation to work from,
to build on.
An initial step is what foundation squat can work more efficiently or not?
Then ask yourself how to recieve pitches. And research.
Should also be foccussing on throwing.
May want to ask what throwing techniques will be taught. Will it include throwing from one/two knee?

There are choices and decisions!
Educate what can be done.
Follow a plan to reach goals.

GO CATCHERS!

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019
Thanks all for your input. And thanks radcatcher for breaking it down. Looks like we have some homework to do.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thanks all for your input. And thanks radcatcher for breaking it down. Looks like we have some homework to do.
Some very good chats in catchers forum! Different viewpoints with video's!
Think could really help getting things going!
Enjoy!

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
My DD takes catching (and hitting lessons) from a former minor league baseball player that now coaches HS and TB.
He is awesome and I have seen great strides in both areas.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28