Catching footwork - Getting the last bit of pop-to-pop improvement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
We are working with our 18U catcher to improve her pop to pop time. She's about 1.9 right now. She's coming off a sore arm last summer, so there's just getting her confident in throwing all-out again. But she also does a footwork thing I have a question about.

Instead of sliding to replace her feet, she tends to take a power step forward with her back foot. She gets nice and sideways, stays low, good shoulder turn etc.

I've always advocated slide to replace. But I'm thinking because of her injury and her relatively small size she feels like she needs some forward momentum.

When I play around throwing each way, I don't feel like I lose too much time. What do others think? Any advice on footwork or anything else to wring a few final tenths of a second out of her technique.

TKS

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
With the power step forward then the turn, a) it takes longer to get to release as you note and, b) the rear hip coil power source often isn't recreated after that initial forward step (and more stress/reliance on the arm itself to power the throw). So, while I may gain 2 or 3 feet in power stepping toward the target base, I lose time and probably velocity as well, which makes it a poor tradeoff.

What's her max overhand throwing velocity? What's her max catcher throwing velocity? NECC advocates that if there's more than a 5 mph drop, there is a technique problem. NECC does detailed video analysis to identify specifically where/whether there's room for improvement.

You mentioned sore arm - from throwing? Over use or poor mechanics? With good mechanics, a throw will feel almost effortless. Check out the throwing posts here on DFP and the website/ebook of Austin W at A&B. Austin works closely with Jay/NECC - that's a tough combo to top IMO.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Take the footwork out of the equation and have her work on throwing from the knees.

Apr 23, 2012
If you watch most good catchers you will notice that once they receive the ball the catcher in one motion brings ball and glove to ear popping to a wide throwing stance, shoulders square to the target arms create a W with a good strong follow through when throwing. There shouldn't be any extra step.

The soreness could be from just learning how and executing to receive the pitch properly with a good stiff arm and wrist, or it could be something wrong with her mechanics.

Couple of questions needs to be answered:
Does she work out the forearms and wrist outside of practice with weights? (She needs to have strong forearms and wrist to take impact of pitches when received correctly.) Weak forearms will cause soreness in the arm.
Is the soreness in the tendons, arm muscles or shoulder joint?
How often does she do long throws drills? (This will help also with increasing arm strength)

Apr 8, 2010
Not a fan of glove/ball to the ear, prefer the transfer out front ala NECC to be quicker and avoid over rotation of torso.

Not that I'm anybody, but I switched my son to an out-front transfer last winter. His throws are more accurate and have more velocity. Seems more natural. The main issue we had at first was he was wanting to drop his hands down low in front while hebwas replacing his feet, causing a big circle. Once we broke him of that, he did well with it.

I will be teaching the out-front transfer to my girls this winter as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23