Catching Examples

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 1, 2011
So, we have a "Model Swings" thread on the Technical Hitting Forum. There's the "Model Pitchers" thread on the Pitching Forum. Could we please get a "Model Catchers" thread in this one.....PRETTY PLEASE. I'd do it, but I'm not technical AT ALL, and really don't have enough time. I think this discussion forum would benefit greatly from it if someone would do that. If not, hey, no biggie. Just asking (somewhat begging really). Thanks.

Josh

Jun 18, 2013
I have nothing to add as far as examples, but I will second your opinion. I could really use some examples of solid fundamentals as we get started.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
How about a list of the basics to get started.

Like how to set up to receive: feet, glove, throwing hand placement, glove placement, difference with runners on vs no runners on, where to stand at the plate for a tag out, blocking, etc.

I bought the NECC video and it has been quite helpful for us. Most catchers seem to just get put there because the team needs a catcher and coaches don't spend enough time working them. Our travel ball team has four that get worked out and I'm working on helping them based off the info in the video. But there is a lot I don't know so any info is appreciated.

My 10u dd got taken out at the plate by a big 12u player in our rec league this season (10,11,12) and that's when started looking for ways for her to defend herself in that situation. (It was a high throw and a tie at the plate with a very late slide. Took her down hard) There is a a lot of info online but doesn't seem to be a lot here. Let's try to get a model catching thread going!

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Feet need to be just past shoulder width apart, like batting stance, and get down low and balanced. When you have runners on base, thighs need to be parallel to the ground and ready to set feet for the throw to 2nd or 3rd. I have mine relax until the wind up the raise up, keeping the glove at the batters knees.
(I know my dd likes to have her feet close because its more comfortable but I'm really working on getting them apart for better balance and mobility. )

Position glove at batters knees.

Keep throwing hand out of pitchers line of site to keep it protected. Wrap fingers around thumb to protect it. No runners on, behind back. Runners on, keep it behind glove for quick release and throw.

I've read and been told to stand in front of the plate when waiting on the throw for a tag out and that seems to be the safest place to stay out of the way. Even if you are behind the plate and out of the way you could get plowed by a sliding runner. Make the catch then turn for the tag out.

Apr 26, 2014
New England Catching Camp, The New England Catching Camp, has a wealth of knowledge in regards to EVERYTHING CATCHING!! Jay Weaver, and late father Dave Weaver, is a very knowledgeable person, and is all about everything catching. Tons of information on everything catching. What I like best about this site is it gives examples and verbiage that is easy to understand and facilitate. He even responds to concerns via telephone and or e-mail. I would recommend his site as a starting point and a continuing point on all things catching!! A GREAT RESOURCE!!!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
New England Catching Camp, The New England Catching Camp, has a wealth of knowledge in regards to EVERYTHING CATCHING!! Jay Weaver, and late father Dave Weaver, is a very knowledgeable person, and is all about everything catching. Tons of information on everything catching. What I like best about this site is it gives examples and verbiage that is easy to understand and facilitate. He even responds to concerns via telephone and or e-mail. I would recommend his site as a starting point and a continuing point on all things catching!! A GREAT RESOURCE!!!!!

NECC is supported heavily by DFP members. Many of us have DDs who have attended NECC camps and clinics, and their DVD is considered the "gold standard" for instructional information. We're happy to have you aboard as another supporter of NECC's fantastic program. Jay posts on DFP occasionally, too.

Also...Welcome to DFP! Enjoy the ride. :)

Apr 14, 2014
Kansas City
Megan Willis has great video that she shot for Skliz. Great video. My daughter, who is a catcher watches it religiously over and over. Provides some really good technique examples, which you can then build drill around the examples.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
Just bought the NECC DVD and sat down to watch about 45 minutes of it. So far I am extremely impressed. His view on framing really opened my eyes. So many time my DD has been told to frame by pulling a pitch back into the strike zone. I always thought this was a bad idea but everyone she ever went to taught the same thing. This may be the best money I have spent on catching so far.

Feb 7, 2014
NECC is definitely one of the best camps my DD has been to. Jay Weaver does an exceptional job working with catchers.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Yep NECC is the best. I would highly recommend. Mine has went to NEC camp 2 times, best examples for presentation, picking and blocking. Money well spent, one of the best young technical catchers I have seen, pops in the low 1.6's and I use what she learned to teach my catchers in my Travel Organizations. You will get your money back in scholarship offers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802