Catching debate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
I’ll also add that if she keeps doing that, you’ll soon be down to one catcher, while crocodile hands sits on the bench with her thumb and/or hand in a cast. Time to start training up catcher #3 before those summer tournaments start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Prefer Turn glove into the dirt and make the cave.
(not set it down flat)
*Turning glove under is good for framing low pitches.
*PLUS same mechanic used for dirt pitches.

TURN and STICK glove into the dirt!

That-alligator style- is often taught as a flat glove position. Sometimes see players reaching too much with this. Tends to happen because top of glove is pointing forward instead of down.
Ball hits the hand/butt area of glove and shoots up. Instead of ball going into the pocket.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
@RADcatcher I would love to hear your thoughts on the one knee down set up a lot of catchers are using now.
:)

I would ask them
What benefit does it offer?
What limitations are caused by it?
If we have two strongs legs to use to be explosive with, why only use half of that ability?
*Really prompting thinking about our role on the field!

With this perspective in mind
"Catchers are extreme infielders with the added pleasure of framing."

WE have an athletic responsibilty to cover the field just as any other defensive player does. Bunts, pop ups, miss hits. Left/Right, Up/Down, Forward/Back.
We have bases to cover as well. We do not have anyone backing us up on 3rd strike dirt pitch batter swinging.
We need to be
~ At The Ready!

Another perspective is from what the pitcher see's.
Can share over decades and times of talking with pitchers and catchers. Have routinely asked pitchers about this. The presence of the catcher, how does it impact you the pitcher?
Its very common they are influenced in a comfortable confident way by the presence of an athletic catcher. This makes it critical to me to be as ready as possible!

Could also speak about framing. How our body frames the plate and our glove frames the pitch.

The important thing in this discussion is really for people to think through what our GOALS are. What is our RESPONSIBILTY. To Utilize the best mechanics we can to experience SUCCESS !

btw RAD stands for Ready And Durable ! 👍
20170919_150122-1.jpg

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Can't you simply measure pop times, to tell you which is faster? It's not really an opinion question, it's math.
Great tool timing things!

Thats an interesting thing when...
People assume the harder throwing player has the better pop time.
Not always true.
Pop time includes mechanics.
From the time ball reaches the catcher to their throw reaching the other defensive players glove.

Transition speed and quick efficient throwing mechanics are fantastic ways to reduce pop times!
Talking tenths of a second.
Important!

Good to actually time it!

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
Since I'm on a roll, where do you prefer the bare hand. Do you prefer behind the mitt or behind the leg?
DD has been taught to put it behind/ to the side of her ankle. team catching instructor tried to have her go behind the mitt, she tried it for a while, keeping and open mind, but prefers behind/beside her ankle

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802