Catching debate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2019
I had a conversation last night about the catching position last night, that I'd like opinions on.

Would you have catchers get into secondary positions with runners on base, or would you have them stay in their normal position? Our team struggles throwing runners out and I think they all sit in squats too low, which forces them to throw from their knees more often then they should. I think giving them any advantage at all, would help. Thoughts/concerns....

@RADcatcher I'm looking at you!

May 6, 2015
as an example, DD2 it is hard to tell when she is in secondary and when she is not. for her, it is more about a readiness than a position. she throws runners out at a 50% rate currently (07), and is really just now starting to throw from her knees (she just wrapped up a big growth spurt).

they should practice both from knees and secondary stance, and with runners on 1 and or 2, they should be expecting to throw on every pitch. with runner on 3rd (regardless of other baserunners), primary focus has to be on controlling the pitch.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Our catching stance is the~
Foundation of framing.
Foundation to react to the ball from.
Foundation to react and throw from.
It should be consistant regardless of runners on base!

Prefer a strong and balanced athletic crouch.
Knees wide as shoulders. Flat footed, Feet wide also, wider than shoulders works for many.
(not under tushie)
Stay square to the pitcher and the ball.
(not turned sideways)

Catchers are extreme infielders.
We need to be able to react
left and right
up and down
forward and back/behind.
Use strength and balance to explode in any direction!
*Including for bunts and pop ups!
*Including NO RUNNERS ON and running to back up first base!

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019
as an example, DD2 it is hard to tell when she is in secondary and when she is not. for her, it is more about a readiness than a position. she throws runners out at a 50% rate currently (07), and is really just now starting to throw from her knees (she just wrapped up a big growth spurt).

they should practice both from knees and secondary stance, and with runners on 1 and or 2, they should be expecting to throw on every pitch. with runner on 3rd (regardless of other baserunners), primary focus has to be on controlling the pitch.

The '08 (which full disclosure is my DD), is our #1 catcher and can throw from her knees. She's not prepared to throw as much as I'd like and that's why we started getting them into secondary stances. The '07 is fairly new to catching, so she just needs to learn the position more. She's just a little raw right now.

I was just taken aback by the pitching coach (not on our team staff), saying that he's never taught and never will teach catchers to get into a secondary stance. He feels like it's too much movement and they'll miss blocking balls when they are thrown in the dirt. I'll leave it up to the Head Coach on what he wants to do.

I also agree with you that their secondary shouldn't be a huge difference from their regular stance. I feel like it's just a preparation thing to get them ready to throw down to the bag on every pitch (with runners on base).

Jul 9, 2019
Our catching stance is the~
Foundation of framing.
Foundation to react to the ball from.
Foundation to react and throw from.
It should be consistant regardless of runners on base!

Prefer a strong and balanced crouch. Knees wide as shoulders. Flat footed, Feet wide also.
(not under tushie)
Stay square to the pitcher and the ball.
(not turned sideways)

catchers are extreme infielders. We need to be able to react to the left and the right up and down. Use strength and balance to explode in any direction!
So you don't recommend a secondary stance. Good to know!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
So you don't recommend a secondary stance. Good to know!
Think it threw a little further,
:)(sharing this thought process)

Is there any reason the rest of the defense should kick back just cuz theres no one on base?

Is there any reason the pitcher should have a different looking target to throw to?

How about the umpire?
Would it be advantageous to have consistancy framing?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I had a conversation last night about the catching position last night, that I'd like opinions on.

Would you have catchers get into secondary positions with runners on base, or would you have them stay in their normal position? Our team struggles throwing runners out and I think they all sit in squats too low, which forces them to throw from their knees more often then they should. I think giving them any advantage at all, would help. Thoughts/concerns....

@RADcatcher I'm looking at you!
It should also be noted difference in some mechanics on knees are squishy with weight back, glove in between knees. Limiting athletic ability.

Prefer knees dropping straight down
(not back)
Tushie stays up.
Keeping an athletic posture more upright , shoulders forward.
( like athletic posture on knees)
Yes chest at slight angle forward.

Anytime we squish our muscles collapsing into a little ball takes extra time to then get muscles engaged, to move again.
aka- downtime

Prefer Thought process of
Be athletic ~ Stay athletic!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It should also be noted difference in some mechanics on knees are squishy with weight back, glove in between knees. Limiting athletic ability.

Prefer knees dropping straight down
(not back)
Tushie stays up.
Keeping an athletic posture more upright , shoulders forward.
( like athletic posture on knees)
Yes chest at slight angle forward.

Anytime we squish our muscles collapsing into a little ball takes extra time to then get muscles engaged, to move again.
aka- downtime

Prefer Thought process of
Be athletic ~ Stay athletic!

As an FYI, RAD was a world class catcher. So, whatever she says about catching is gospel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812