Catching Camp DVD Wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2022
Hi all,

Does anyone have a copy of the NECC DVD they’d be willing to part with? It looks like the streaming version is no longer available and the eBook is still not out, I’d like to use it to train up some catchers over the winter. Thanks!

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
Hey there! Just figured I’d let you know that we recently released our e-book and it’s available on our website. I’ll avoid posting a direct link, but feel free to PM for details.

I will say that the reason the DVD was pulled and streaming stopped is because 95% of the information is not what we teach, nor would we ever recommend for training purposes. In fact, if you are still using that DVD to teach catchers, you should stop.

While the DVD information could be considered good for years, that is no longer the case. Our constantly evolving understanding of the human body and biomechanical efficiency has rendered much of that DVD useless.

FYI, if my father was still here, he would be telling you the exact same thing. His number one rule was that in order to keep teaching the game, we must never stop being a student of the game. I haven’t stopped expanding my knowledge base and the information my program uses to train catchers around the world. Luckily catchers will have access to better information today and in the future because of that mentality.

May 13, 2023
Hey there! Just figured I’d let you know that we recently released our e-book and it’s available on our website. I’ll avoid posting a direct link, but feel free to PM for details.

I will say that the reason the DVD was pulled and streaming stopped is because 95% of the information is not what we teach, nor would we ever recommend for training purposes. In fact, if you are still using that DVD to teach catchers, you should stop.
⬆️Interesting comments on the DVD.
( would be nice to see, Not that you need to post what that was.)
However would be interesting for discussion of mechanics.

To compare to what you are now teaching, to see what evolution in mechanics you have switched to.
Reasonings for discussion.
⬇️
While the DVD information could be considered good for years, that is no longer the case. Our constantly evolving understanding of the human body and biomechanical efficiency has rendered much of that DVD useless.

FYI, if my father was still here, he would be telling you the exact same thing. His number one rule was that in order to keep teaching the game, we must never stop being a student of the game. I haven’t stopped expanding my knowledge base and the information my program uses to train catchers around the world. Luckily catchers will have access to better information today and in the future because of that mentality.

May 17, 2012

I would be interested in one example of what's changed from the DVD? Was it just the throwing information?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Agreed, would love to hear of the changes in general. That DVD got a lot of use in our household (thank you), she's now entering her 4th year of catching in college!

Feb 7, 2014

Best camps my DD ever attended.

Jul 11, 2023
I did not have NECC disciples being told they were 95% wrong on my bingo card. I too am curious about a summary of changes.

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
I would be interested in one example of what's changed from the DVD? Was it just the throwing information?
The changes made to the information on the DVD were all-encompassing. Some minor tweaks to approach and terminology. Others, a complete shift away from an entire ideology.

For one, yes, the throwing. The throwing approach that we taught in the DVD was fine at the time. However, as my understanding of physiology and bio-mechanics has grown exponentially over the years, so too has our approach to teaching that skill. We focused on getting into a "Throwing position" before. However, the throw is not a position you get into and then throw out of. It's a process, one movement leaking into the next until the release of the ball.

Another example would be my complete shift on glove movement before the pitch, the one-knee-down approach and when to use certain glove positions to receive pitches.

Blocking is relatively similar, but the explanation of the skill is far more in depth and accounts for more variables.

These are just a few differences, but if you are still using the DVD for anything other than nostalgia and to hear my Dad, I'd highly recommend making the change to the e-book. The DVD was great for its time. But that information is extremely outdated.

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
And yet its changed now 🤷‍♀️
To be clear, the changes were made due to the philosophy that my dad had, which was to stop teaching the moment we stopped learning. All of the changes, including the information taught and structure to our camps, were definitely made for the better. I would rather be wrong today, so I can be right tomorrow, and I'll never stop trying to figure out if there are better, more efficient, methods to accomplishing the skills we teach behind the plate. Complacency is not something my dad, nor I, have ever embraced and I believe the catchers who have come into the program are all significantly better for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28