Catching at Pitching Private Lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would have prefered another player C for DD at lessons but the primary goal is the pitcher. It is not C practice per say.

I agree with giving C something even though they volontered and just wanted to get out of their house.

DD's been to a few coaches, some like to C themselfs. So I guess it depends.

May 16, 2016
My 11 y/o switched to catching at the end of the season, and has really taken to it. I've started taking her to catch at one of our pitcher's private lessons a couple times a week. We are not paying the private coach (pitcher's parents are), we are just piggy-backing off the lessons to get reps (and break in her mitt). Is this the general etiquette, or should I be offering the parents or coach something?

If I need a catcher, and one of the team's catchers is not available, I will pay $20/hr for a catcher our pitching instructor arranges. Frequently, there are catchers hanging out at the facility, looking to make some pocket money.

We frequently coordinate with catchers from the our team to catch lessons. I certainly would not expect the catcher to chip in for our lesson. I also would not expect to be asked to pay a team-mate to catch a lesson, as they are getting the extra reps with their pitcher, which give them a leg up on other catchers on the team. Generally, I don't "need" a catcher, as I usually catch lessons.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I would have prefered another player C for DD at lessons but the primary goal is the pitcher. It is not C practice per say.

I agree with giving C something even though they volontered and just wanted to get out of their house.

DD's been to a few coaches, some like to C themselfs. So I guess it depends.
Hmmm?
Its practice for both!
Always tell catchers
It an opportunity to work on mechanics with someone throwing pitches, without the pressure of a batter or runners.
Add
Its also great to have a catcher as its an accurate visual target.
Plus Framing!
Location Location Location 👍

Feb 5, 2019
My DD does for one of the pitcher on our team. The first 5-10 min she works on framing. The next 5-10 mins on secondary. The last 5-10 mins she trys not to let any balls go past her.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Contacting pitching instructors for pitchers to throw outside of lessons is a great workout also.

Recently contacted an instructor who had a college pitcher at home with on line school was able to connect with an 18u catching student!
Excellent opportunity to train at the next level!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
DD had a HS teamate catch her lessons for the last few months. She couldn't make it the other day so I caught DD. Two days later my body is killing me
Out of catching shape lol

May 4, 2020
DD had a HS teamate catch her lessons for the last few months. She couldn't make it the other day so I caught DD. Two days later my body is killing me
Out of catching shape lol
One DD catches for the other. They are both pitchers so it works out well. But $20 is the going rate in our area if you need a catcher for a lesson.

Apr 28, 2014
One DD catches for the other. They are both pitchers so it works out well. But $20 is the going rate in our area if you need a catcher for a lesson.
That's reasonable!
I like to catch DD every once in a while to see how her pitches are breaking. Just wish my bones were younger lol

May 4, 2020
That's reasonable!
I like to catch DD every once in a while to see how her pitches are breaking. Just wish my bones were younger lol
I have full set of catchers gear and like to catch as well but my eyes are bad.
One DD just started getting consistent lessons and hit 62mph on the gun today. Her speed and my eyes are a bad combo. Her curve always seems to find my damn thumb!!!
Her twin is slower due to late start and is still willing to take direction from me so I have that for now. 😜

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28