Catching at Pitching Private Lessons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Funny to see dads catch their DD. First they buy a decent mitt. (10u) Then they realize they need a mask.(12u) Dad takes a couple off the shins and now gets shin guards.(14u) Chest protector and cup to follow. (16u)

In my dad experience the eyes are the first thing to go. You start blinking and thinking 'whew.' The next thing to go should be you....off the bucket 😆

Jun 19, 2016
I get a lot of parents volunteer their daughter to catch my DD lessons. I haven't ever paid any of them but I did thank them. I honestly would gladly pay one if needed because I am starting to get uncomfortable catching her. I would never dream of taking payment from them.

Jun 19, 2016
Funny to see dads catch their DD. First they buy a decent mitt. (10u) Then they realize they need a mask.(12u) Dad takes a couple off the shins and now gets shin guards.(14u) Chest protector and cup to follow. (16u)

I bought the shinguards before the mask. I think if I need anything it is steel toed boots. The shin guards don't go down far enough when you are on the bucket.

Feb 28, 2015
Heatbox
We always take the pitcher and catcher to Dutch Bros. for a drink after lessons. Lately I've been giving the young girl that is catching for DD2, 20 bucks. All the catchers we have used over the years have been happy with the drink afterwards.

Oct 4, 2018
My 11 y/o switched to catching at the end of the season, and has really taken to it. I've started taking her to catch at one of our pitcher's private lessons a couple times a week. We are not paying the private coach (pitcher's parents are), we are just piggy-backing off the lessons to get reps (and break in her mitt). Is this the general etiquette, or should I be offering the parents or coach something?

They should pay you.

If your DD wasn't catching, Mom/Dad would have to. Mom/Dad really don't like taking drop balls to the shins.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Awesome, thanks everyone for the advice. This pitching coach is really good with teaching the girls the strategy of pitching to a hitter. So besides getting catching reps, my daughter is really learning what pitches and locations to call for depending on the situation.

... and a good pitching coach should know plenty about catching, so your DD might get some good advice on catching technique.

Oct 4, 2018

:D

DD is 12U and I still wear flip flops and no gear. But I'm a super awesome athlete with amazing hand-eye coordination --- I often just catch barehand, at least on the 40mph change-ups. I really don't advise any of this for others, though.

Nov 18, 2015
I didn’t know Chuck Norris frequented DFP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee