Catchers training with advanced Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Catchers training with advanced Pitchers is an EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE !!!

Throughout the years have always encouraged and connected catchers to do workouts catching more experienced pitchers.
Depending on talent levels not age levels.
(do not be limited by age levels)
Absolutley encourage setting this experience up for all catchers!!
Create the opportunity to receive~
Faster spin
Faster speed
Greater variance for off-speed
Greater movement
After catching better pitchers
usually the pitchers on the team seem much easier to catch for! ;)

The best thing for getting to the next level is prepairing for it!!!!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas

Throughout the years have always encouraged and connected catchers to do workouts catching more experienced pitchers.
Faster spin
Faster speed
Greater movement

I agree with this. When my DD was in 8th grade she had the opportunity to catch a little bit with Keilani Ricketts. The first pitch came in hot and she wasn't even throwing hard! She was scared to death but she did it. Still today I don't think she understands how awesome that experience was.

My DD caught pretty good pitchers throughout her TB career, and then went to a D3 school where those pitchers were not of the same caliber she was used to catching. She took 3 months off and then caught a high caliber pitcher recently. She could not keep up with her rise ball as she was very rusty and not as sharp. In college she was used to catching pitchers that barely nipped at the 60mph mark. I have done some bullpen warm up sessions with girls throwing in the 60's. My old eyes could not keep up, but if I did it everyday I bet I could get pretty good. Repetition builds confidence.

If possible try to find opportunities for the younger catchers to catcher older better pitchers. Allow a 12u to catch a 14u pitcher, 14U catch 16U, 16U catch 18U. It really will make a difference in their skill set and confidence. When my DD was moved up to 18U she had to catch a pitcher that was getting ready to go to Texas Tech in a few weeks. The pitcher told her that she was pretty good. That comment made her feel really awesome, and gave her the confidence to know that she is ready for the next level.

Mar 6, 2016
Here's a video of my 2027 catching an elite 2022. Was a great experience for her.

Haha...I like at the end she shakes her hand as if "Holy $#!£ that hurts!" 😜 Yep agree as long as the younger catcher has a good padded mitt and knows how to recieve correctly and not injure thumb. My DD when going into HS caught a graduating Sr who was going on to pitch in college and the speed and movement was a huge jump to get used to and hand hurt for 2 days. Lol

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
One of my TB players caught bullpen for the USSSA Pride while she was in college. Said it was an awesome experience that gave her a new perspective on what is truly high level pitching.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Another Bonus~ Catchers get more training for hitting reading/seeing next level pitches too!

WooHoo !!!
GO CATCHERS!!!

Last edited:
May 13, 2023

Faster spin
Faster speed
Greater movement

Bumping this post to encourage catchers training with advanced pitchers!
( do not be limited by age levels)
( this includes sometimes have to train with players who are not on your team! )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28